Bobbin clips

davedave

Occasionally I'll want my bobbin to be as light as possible. At other times, for instance to combat undertow, I want a heavier bobbin. Also I insist on a heavier bobbin when fishing for big bream as without one it's hard to differentiate between line bites (that are common then) and proper takes. You then need a bobbin that will dropback down after a line bite.

So at its most basic my bobbin is solely the Freeflow line clip without any extra weight. This design of clip has a loop on the bottom to tie a retaining cord to. I say cord, but I prefer wire as it's stiff and so doesn't tangle. I use a piece of wire equal in length to the size of the bankstick when closed.

On the wire I have a piece of fluorescent red catapult elastic. Mine is from Shakespear that nicely covers the bottom of the clip. This is so I can add a Betalight or Starlight for fishing after dark.

When I need to increase the weight of the bobbin I simply add split shot onto the wire. To stop the bobbin waving about if its windy I just rest the shot on the ground. I'd be using several shot then, so dropbacks are still easy to see as only the bottom shot or two are on the ground.

At the other end of the wire I use a bulldog clip to attach the indicator to the bankstick. Usually this is about half way up.

If I can figure out how to add a picture I'll do so! Does the Photobucket option still work?

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew - Two or three. Yes this thread reminded me of the cork bobbins I used to make, I might whip another couple up actually. Thanks

Steve - So what weight would you recommend for a bobbin used when perch fishing? I always assumed it was a case of the lighter the better. Do you think my pipe bobbins are too light? Are the gardner indicator clips metal or plastic? I don't know about photobucket, I just copied in the image code, don't know if thats what you meant or not. Thanks

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I'm thinking one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Hairstyling-Metal-Bobby-Pin-Clip-Clamp-Black-for-Women-Girl-/390515162703?pt=UK_Hair_Accessories&hash=item5aec847e4f

stuck into a straight wine bottle cork painted orange. With some pole float rubbers over the metal clips to protect the line.

Write korum on it and i'd make a fortune! :P

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Andrew - Two or three. Yes this thread reminded me of the cork bobbins I used to make, I might whip another couple up actually. Thanks
Steve - So what weight would you recommend for a bobbin used when perch fishing? I always assumed it was a case of the lighter the better. Do you think my pipe bobbins are too light? Are the gardner indicator clips metal or plastic? I don't know about photobucket, I just copied in the image code, don't know if thats what you meant or not. Thanks

The Gardner Free Flow is made of plastic

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I now use Solar bobbins, specifically the i-lite bobbin bodies. The Solar stuff is all interchangeable and I have a selection of weights and different heads that can be screwed in. For the 'chain' I use old leadcore with the inner lead removed, which is tough, light, and tangle/kink-free.

This is the stuff: http://www.harefieldtackleonline.co.uk/acatalog/SolarIndicator.html

To attach the bobbin to the rod rest I copied a brilliant idea from Steve B, and instead of attaching it under the alarm I use a clip which can clip anywhere on the bankstick. I often use long drops, and attaching it like this means that when the bobbin is up next to the rod, the cord is almost tight - so when you pick up the rod and strike the bobbin pulls off straight away.

BTW the i-lite heads with plastic line clips, no extra weight added, and a lightweight cord are light enough to use for fussy species like perch. I used to make my own light bobbins, but since finding these I don't bother any more.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi all,

I was looking into making my own bobbins, after seeing someone on the bank with bobbins made of balsa wood and painted orange. The clip for going on the line was not homemade, but he didn't say where he got them from. Does anybody know where I could buy some? An ebay search of 'bobbin clips' brought no luck, but I don't know if that's the correct term. If anybody has got any idea of where I could find some i'd appreciate it. Also does anybody know which shops would sell balsa wood?

Cheers :)

You could you a hairclip - nice and cheap.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hairclips have been mentioned and I used to use these as a kid on a homemade bobbin. There were also commercial versions. However with perch in particular you need to be able to quickly and easily adjust the tension. With any species you also need the bobbin to cope with different diameter lines. This is very fiddly to do with a hairclip, and is never entirely satisfactory. For this reason modern bobbins were developed and are a big improvement.

Dave, no bobbin can be too light, although as Anderoo says you rarely need to use an exceptionally light one. However there's the very odd occasion when you do, and then it can make the difference between a big bag or a blank.

The important thing is that you can quickly and easily add the exact amount of extra weight that you need. It's for this reason that I prefer to add split shot to the retaining cord rather than add weight to the bobbin itself. These weights don't allow sufficient adjustment for me. I usually use SSG shot, but occasionally AAA. In the days I used a Flipstick (similar to a Zandavan Rollover but at right angles to the line) I even used BBs for finicky stillwater chub.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

IMG00018.jpg

Here's a pic of my bobbin I referred to earlier on the pole winder I store it on. The thing between the split shot and the red catapult elastic is a betalight for night fishing. As I mentioned I vary the number of split shot according to the conditions.

Some beaut bobbins ideas from you lot, but I made what is now known as the stow bobbin using a BIC biro cap with 2" of the pen tube , that's the top end,sawn off , put a isotope into the tube, reverse it and glue into the cap. In those days there was no hole in the end of the cap so I had to make one and into that I would glue a swivel that I could use to tie a line to my bankstick. Not bad really 30+ years ago !! Add shot to the line as required to make heavier.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.