RUDD

Read an article that recomended painting pole floats with Hard as nails.

There is a similar article on another forum but I cannot access due to work blocking certain forums.

Had a google search and the only product I can find is a nail varnish called hard as nails.

Does anyone know if this is the stuff used to harden pole floats or to repair them?

I have loads of pole floats (and a few wagglers :) ) that now start to take on water due to cracks in the paint / varnish which could do with repairing.

Theres nothing worse than buliding up a peg then after an hour or so having your carefully shotted float disappear due to taking on a bit of water!!!

Does anyone have any other recomendations for a float varnish?

In the past I have used yacht varnish on wagglers but have found it to be a bit to thick.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Sally Hansens's Hard as nails (a nail polish), as a substitute for epoxy when fly tying, things like epoxy buzzers etc. I see no reaon why you could not use it on pole floats as a varnish substitute.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I use Sally Hansens's Hard as nails (a nail polish), as a substitute for epoxy when fly tying, things like epoxy buzzers etc. I see no reaon why you could not use it on pole floats as a varnish substitute.

Must be the stuff - will give it a go unless anyone knows of a more suitable product.

Cheers for answers.

RUDD

RUdd: that IS the stuff they are referring to. Though I've no direct experience, I'd always suspected that coating a pole float - by nature very small and delicately balanced - might affect the performance / shotting capacity etc of the float, no?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="philocalist" data-cid="5438853" data-time="1357839890"><p>

RUdd: that IS the stuff they are referring to. Though I've no direct experience, I'd always suspected that coating a pole float - by nature very small and delicately balanced - might affect the performance / shotting capacity etc of the float, no?</p></blockquote>

Possibly with the smallest of floats but to be honest I do not think a light coat will have that much of a effect on performance. There may be a slight change in shotting needed but I have never found two floats ever to be the same or even the stated shotting to be correct - there are to many variables involved.

I have a load of battered pole floats that take on water. Some have cracks in the body coating ( which I presume is a varnish) and others have had the eye pull out.

Dont see the point In chucking them out if they can be fixed with a product costing a fiver a bottle with new floats costing anything between 1.20 and 3.00

RUDD

I tried Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails when i first started float making as it was recommended, but I didn't get on with it very well. It seemed to have a strong solvant base that didn't agree with the other paints I use. It has the abilit to smudge some of the other other paints when put over them even though they had dried and it even blistered one paint I used it over.

I give all my floats 4 coats of Blackfriar's Duratough clear varnish now and its not given me any problems at all. Its water based so very easy to use, clean your brushes and none of my floats have taken on water with it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="lutra" data-cid="5439231" data-time="1357847400"><p>

<strong class='bbc'>I tried Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails when i first started float making as it was recommended, but I didn't get on with it very well. It seemed to have a strong solvant base that didn't agree with the other paints I use. It has the abilit to smudge some of the other other paints when put over them even though they had dried and it even blistered one paint I used it over.</strong><br />

<br />

<strong class='bbc'>I give all my floats 4 coats of Blackfriar's Duratough clear varnish now and its not given me any problems at all. Its water based so very easy to use, clean your brushes and none of my floats have taken on water with it. </strong></p></blockquote>

The float cosmetics dont bother me - the only part I like to look is the bristle. I will consider the duratough. Cheers for reply.

RUDD

I would also suggest a visit to a good model shop where all sizes of balsa can be acquired also the correct sealer's and varnish's to make them water proof. You can also get some very fine stainless steel wire and plastics. Amazing range of do it yourself bits !!

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

Plasti-kote do a range of colours in small jars (inc. clear and some fluorescent ones). Lots of DIY (B&Q) and model shops sell it (and ebay)and its not bad stuff.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep