Hello

Andrew PI

Also picked up a OS map of the area to see what stretches the club has. It was harder to find a stretch that they didnt have. Also interested to find that they run the stretch that goes under the M4. I see it quite a lot when I travel with work and always think about how I want to fish there. Now I will get a chance.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew

That stretch is rock hard, occasional bream and very occasional tench, Sutton Benger just south of there is better. You can park in the field, if you fish the smaller field (upstream of the road bridge) and in particular the last swim upstream produce good specimen fish, barbel and tench mainly. The large field downstream, also good for barbel and roach, lots of silver fish, but great for stalking due to the length of the fishery.

Somerford AA owns probably the best barbel fishing on the Avon, check out the waters,!! you can join, but there is a waiting list (dead mans shoes), so get yer name down quick!!

Best of luck you lucky bu**er.

Hi Andrew and welcome to AN. Can't help you with Bristol I'm afraid. I am an hour up the M5 at Cheltenham. If you ever want some stillwater fishing up my way, give me a PM. I do fish the Severn but it does fish quite hard.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Jeepster and Glenn. I am going to be sorting out my BAA membership this week. If its ok with you guys do you fancy meeting up for a spot of fishing on the Avon soon. Any weekday as long as I can get the time of and Sundays are good with me.

Andrew - I fish regularly around Bristol. Most on the Bristol Avon - Amalgamated Anglers tabs. I like to fish unfished areas as well as the usual Lacock/Limpley Stoke barbel hotspots. Recently been fishing Swineford - excellent for variety if not huge fish - trot for roach, chub, dace and good perch. Excellent area for Pike aswell. Jarretts do day tickets for Keynsham weir pool behind pub - this is great spot if you ignore the litter. Do remember boats can be a pain in the arse below Bath. Recent evenings due to convenience and lacking light fished the Bristol Frome. I like to roam up and down travelling light - had some nice roach, chub and dace with added bonus of the odd trout around a pound. Seen the odd Chub in the deeper pools behind weirs up to the 4lb mark. I have to say the interest in commercial fisheries has left the banks deserted and its great. I remember when it was difficult to get a swim between Swineford and Hanham on the BA not anymore. Take a few hours travelling light moving downstream through this stretch you might have to cut through a few nettles but it can produce some interesting results.

Mike

Mike P

Went upto Malmesbury with the missus today to have a look round and whilst walking along the river I found a large group of Chub under the road bridge posibly hitting 5lbs. Just got to work out how to get them as there is no bank to fish from. Think some waders are going to be added to the shopping list.

now i've got all the house moving stuff done (and got back on t'internet, though i was slightly pi55ed off to see only ferret noticed i'd gone!) i'm going to spend the next few days checking out lacock, freshford, limpley stoke etc