strange 2

chesters1

we now have pretty decent (although sometimes incomplete) contents on our food lableling ,but it is strange on our more dangerouse (to us and the enviroment ) very little contents listing on our "under the sink" chemicals , i had a look at 3 randomly

1) harpic "contains amongst other ingrediants (not listed) "less than 5% cationic and nonionic surfactant :confused:

2)air freshener (liquid) "contains amoungst other ingrediants (not listed) non-ionic surfactant <5% ,preservative :confused:

3)washing up liquid "contains amongst other ingredients 15-30% anionic surfactant ,non-ionic surfactant 5-15% ,amphoretic surfactants <5% ,preservative :confused:

what are these surfactants ,what are the unlisted ingrediants and what is the preservative?.these i admit are not for our consumption ,but shouldnt we know what were putting down the drain and ultimatly in our drinking water and fishes foodchain

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters,

Keep looking at all them things myself and wonder what they all are. I won't let the wife put any of those blue things in the toilet cistern or any of the bleachy things in the bowl that are supposed to clean it after every flush.

It all ends up in the water somewhere down the line and it is not being filtered out before it is in the Sea, or Rivers is it?.

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

Eddie,

well that went so fast above my head that I am still leaning backwards :D:D

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

eeek ,what are we doing ,i cannot read it ,nevermind what it does down the drain

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As far as I understand its just a posh word for chemicals that clean, like detergents. What I dont know is if they break down in the treatment plants and if they do what do they turn into.

dan :confused:

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

just looked at the washing powder amoungst other stuff mr surfactant is there ,it would be interesting what they arn`t in

My understanding is that they are specific emulsifiers! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Surfactants are added to make the cleaner work better in "hard" water where the mineral content plays hob with regular soap.

If proper ones are used, they chemically combine with the minerals that cause the hard water (calcium & magnesium mostly) and form a very soap-like substance that cleans clothes.

Soap, on the other hand, combines with these same minerals to produce various insoluble salts (don't disolve in water) and will drop out in the form of curd-like particles.

You can add LOTS more soap to overcome the curd stuff but you then get a rather nasty gel.

Since the surfactants don't clean worth a darn in soft water, a nice mix of soap and surfactants is needed to deal with all the water.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President