Slider floats

Howard 13

Can anyone recommend some floats for fishing the slider, preferably ones which will hold a starlight.

I've just been to a tackle shop and all they seemed to do were pole floats or carp bagging floats. They did have some Polaris ones but I didn't realise they were so big.

The swim I'll be using them in is about 15ft deep, slow moving and lobworms will be the bait.

Somewhere online would be a bonus too.

Cheers,

HB.

You can use any waggler float for slider fishing

Drennan crystal insert wagglers are designed to take a starlight. (Just pull out the insert and replace with a starlight)

See here

Tight Lines - leon

[ 14. June 2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Make sure that you buy the starlights at the same time as the Drennan wagglers. Excellent floats but they and the starlights come in a few different sizes.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Howard,

Polaris do come in much smaller sizes. The first ones I bought were about 12 inches long and the only ones the tackle shop had. I've since found a shop with a much larger range and bought smaller ones.

They are so much easier to use than a stop knot with a waggler IMHO. No plumbing and bait exactly where you want it.

I use a float rubber to attach a starlight and bobs yer uncle.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

mostly you want a bodied waggler at about 1ft to

18in long which is pre weighted with a thickish tip you may have to wrap some leadwire around the base if its a non-weighted bodied waggler and you may want to paint alternating b/w bands under the tip to help show on the drop bite and

to show the weights registering as they settle

here is a link to a online shop selling verious

bodied wagglers including the Drennan combo carp

and the Drennan combo missile each comes with 3

tips one of which you should be able to adapt too

take a starlite etc or a starlite may fit in the

tip socket directly

Floats Page

i hope this is of help

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

That, Chavender, was exactly the type of article I like to read. A bloke who's worked it out for himself. I've fished the Ouse and Derwent and can relate to what the blokes talking about exactly.

If I'd a pound for every book or article I've read where the writer purports to know what he's talking about and clearly hasn't much idea, I'd be a few bob richer than I am now.

I always remember reading a book about running by Seb Coe. I was training up for a marathon at the time and I digested what he had to say and tried to keep as near to his training programme as work and homelife would allow. Lo and behold! about eight years later, I see Seb Coe being interviewed on how did he cope on his first marathon he'd just run.

I'm not suggesting he did not know what he's talking about. I am suggesting he was selling books, him and a lot more.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

I think the reason a lot of people struggle when using a sliding float is that they dont fish heavy enough.A bodied waggler of three to four swan is my choice for most depths whilst I will happily go up to some homemade balsa specials (shaped a bit like a giant stillwater blue) that take 6 to 9 swan respectively.Heavier tackle fishs much more positively but if correctly shotted still remains sensitive.

Using to light a set up results in two main problems,the bait takes forever to get down to the fish (no water I know that is deep enough to require a slider fishes well all the way to the bottom on the drop!) and also the float doesnt stay where you have cast it but "walks" up the line back towards the rod.

Traditionally slider floats were fitted with small eyes to basicly allow a small stop knot to be trapped.I have found it far more efficient to use a larger eye and a bead.

Other tips are to keep the tag ends of the stop knot quite long as despite what you may think longer ends pass through the rod rings easier than short ones.Use an ollivette or similar as the bulk shot.Have a shot pinched on the line a couple of foot above the bulk shot for the float to rest on before casting,this helps cut out tangles.

Another use for the slider float set uop I have foung recently is if youy are fishing under trees.Even if the depth is within the rods capabilities having a shoerter amount of line hanging from the tip makes casting in such confined places a lot easier.

If you cant tie a slider knot then simpley tie on a piece of line using a grinner knot!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'll often use a slider when there is no other reason to do so, other than to be able to keep speedily changing depth to stay in touch with feeding fish (as they move up in the water say), or especially when searching out the depth that the perch are feeding.

I also tend to attach them using a float adaptor, for the same reason as Budgie uses a bigger eye, because the eye of an adaptor is bigger than that at the bottom of most wagglers, and allows the line to pass down more quickly and smoothly.

Not only that, but I can quickly change the type/size of float that I'm using to meet different conditions (I also use the slider in tidal waters where the pace and depth is constantly changing).

In fact at times I'll use a small swivel in a piece of silicone tubing as the adapter. That way, I can pull off the float and silicon, remove the shot, and attach a feeder (useful for when the tide suddenly begins to race and the mullet head for the bottom).

Budgie, I often expect bites on the drop when fishing for roach and bream at Burham resevoir.

Often the roach intercept the bait mid-water, otherwise it encounters bigger fish as it goes deeper.

Also, if you let the line spool off the reel as the float settles, you get minimum walking of the float back towards you. You need to hover a finger over the lip of the spool (as you would if you were long trotting), to be ready to strike if a fish takes the bait on the drop.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 14. June 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust