should there be a tv licence?

chesters1

Not sure whether it's still the case, but they have a right of access to your property to see whether you have 'equipment capable of receiving a television signal'.

I feel pretty aggrieved because I have to pay the full BBC licence fee, but I'm living in an area where we can't receive BBC channel 5, nor can we receive any 'free to air' digital channels through the arial, even if I was to buy one of those new Pace Technology digital receiver boxes (cost £100, but no subscription needed).

(It took a long time before we could receive a Nicam stereo signal)

So, all that licence money going into developing services which I can't use :(

You used to be able to pay a different scale to watch colour or black and white. Why do I have to pay full whack for services I can't access?

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Channel 5 is nothing to do with the BBC. It's a pity - it would probably be at least a bit better if it was!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I think I understand now: TV's emit a signal that your TV Police can detect with their Tricorders; the TV Police can search households who claim not to have a TV; you are charged a fee that allows you to watch government sponsored programs.

Not exactly my thing, but I do enjoy some of the BBC programs that make it over here, but I don't watch much TV either.

Thanks!

DaveK

I've given up watching the TV. Got sick of watching repeats of repeats. When they started putting Dads Army on as prime time viewing on a Saturday then I thought they were taking the p s !!! Then there's soap operas...jesus, if ever there was a waste of licence payers money !! :mad: :mad:

The only thing I watch telly for these days if the weather. Since the advent of the Internet I get the weather direct from the MET OFFICE site or one of the other weather websites. Don't even know why the hell we have a telly in our house. 99% of the time the damn thing is turned off.

I suppose if there was some quality programming less people would try to dodge the TV Tax. That's all it is, another Tax. Rip-Off-Britain ?? You bet.

I find it strangely disturbing that when some people who actually do not own a TV, tell the inspector and the inspector cannot believe they do not own a TV. Some people can live without TV.

Maybe people should get there lazy backsides out of the chair and enjoy the outdoors more.

Tight Lines

Chris

In this day and age you get noithing for nothing. What you get from the BBC are a range of programmes that are second to none.

This for a little over £110 per annum.

Not having to rely on advertising revenue enables them to offer a diverse range of programmes based on their merits and not on their commercial value.

Despite this they do actually manage to sell quite a few of their programmes abroad.

For people like me they offer sufficient programmes to keep me happy, I do subscribe to SKY but that is because of the poor reception in my area, so I pay the minimum to enable me to recieve BBC1/2 ITV & Meridian withoit interference.

Channel 5 is not available Terrestially due to being so close to France!.

Now in order to get any other programmes I have to pay a minimum of £136 per annum, just imagine what it would cost if the BBC etc were only available on subscription.

Companies like Sky want it all ways, they want you to pay a monthly rate and then charge you extra for Sport/ Filmsetc, in fact anything that they hope the customers are desperate enough to be forced to pay extra for!

On top of this they even want advertisers to pay!!!, money for old rope!!

And the end result.... most of the top sports events lost to the ordinary viewer.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark we got chn5 when we were staying at little switzerland in folkestone (down the cliffs ) + a lot of foreign rubbish as well ,maybe your in a chnl 5 blackspot ,we cant get here in south farnham or itv dig yet were supposed to be in the rich commuter belt

the companies need to turn their transmitter strengths up. :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson