What tackle do I need for mackerel?

bigguy

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and a complete novice! As it seems according to snippets of information I have got the mackeral season is here,.... I was wondering what tackle Id need to fish for mackerel off the piers.

I have a 9ft Silstar spinning rod with an Okuma ImpactIM80 spinning reel..... so....What hooks, bait, etc would I need?

Do I sink the hook or do I float using a 'rig' of some sort?

I do have a couple of 50g sea lures

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and a complete novice! As it seems according to snippets of information I have got the mackeral season is here,.... I was wondering what tackle Id need to fish for mackerel off the piers.

I have a 9ft Silstar spinning rod with an Okuma ImpactIM80 spinning reel..... so....What hooks, bait, etc would I need?

Do I sink the hook or do I float using a 'rig' of some sort?

I do have a couple of 50g sea lures

All i use are sets of size two shrimp hokkies. I use them for mackerel, catching live launce for bait and i also use them for bream, baited with either mackerel strip or squid also baited for codling etc etc, i don't buy any other lure. I will be using them both on the boats and off the rocks in a couple of weeks, knowing that they will work. Good fishing.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Go to your local tackle shop and ask them for mackerel feathers (feathers where used in times gone by, but is now a generic term). They should point you in the right direction and if they are any good will point you to the fruitful fishing marks as well.

good luck.

squibs

Edited by squibs
Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Go to your local tackle shop and ask them for mackerel feathers (feathers where used in times gone by, but is now a generic term). They should point you in the right direction and if they are any good will point you to the fruitful fishing marks as well.

good luck.

squibs

Agreed, Mackerel feathers work extremely well.

I've tried all sorts of colours etc but in my opinion the best ones are the silver sparkly ones with glow beads on them.

For some reason, the ones I get still have sticky back films left on them. Carefully peal them away and super glue them together. They will last a lot longer this way. (;o)

A pack of "Daylights" will catch you a mackerel or 2. If you want a bit more enjoyment then try float fishing a mackerel belly strip. Start at half the water depth and work up or down until you locate them. Float fishing mackerel is far superior and needs a great deal of skill to figure it out. Somehow that feels better than cast and catch, but no worries if you like to drag them out by the bag full as that's fun too.

Edited by glennk

Hiya BIGBOY!

You'll enjoy catching mackerel (as has been suggested earlier) on float gear. I use a 2 3/4lb carp rod and 10lbs line with a selection of home-made floats for different conditions, although you can buy loaded wagglers, chubbers and controllers in most tackle shops.

floatchoice.jpg

floatrig.jpg

You'll not catch just mackerel either!

sppmay1pollbass.jpg

pier17mayada3.jpg

The Controller Rig works (and casts) well when they are splashing on the top! Don't expect the float to go under! It just capsizes and runs sideways!!!!!

controllerrig-2.jpg

Have fun

:rolleyes:

Hiya BIGBOY!

You'll enjoy catching mackerel (as has been suggested earlier) on float gear. I use a 2 3/4lb carp rod and 10lbs line with a selection of home-made floats for different conditions, although you can buy loaded wagglers, chubbers and controllers in most tackle shops.

Thanks for the info H A i'm down devon on the rocks for a couple of goes and the deep set floats will work for me, cheers.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

This is the method I use.

175-mackerel-float.jpg

The mackerel fishing float slides up and down the main line. The bait is stopped from going to the bottom by a stop knot tied into the main line. This sliding stop knot, often made out of an elastic band is also used to govern the depth of water that the bait is presented at. It is normal to position the knot around 10 foot from the top of the float. This depth is then altered by sliding the knot up or down. Mackerel are often caught between a depth of 8 foot and 20 foot and anglers using this method will have to experiment to see what depth the mackerel are feeding at on any given day.

Another method often used is the cork rig which involves a long trace off your lead weight with a cork or floating beeds on the snood near the hook, this flaots the hook up off the bottom and is deadly for mackerel and pollock alike.

For both corking and float fishing use a mackerel belly strip as bait and the fresher the better.

Edited by glennk