Money is it worth it?????

dave_h

I heard the sad news of an old work buddy who suddenly died at 45 . :mad:

For many years he happily drove his van around working mon-fri for a modest wage. We used to go fishing at weekends and what a laugh we had.

He recently started his new job doubling his money but weekends were out for fishing.

I kept in contact but could hear he was struggling with the stress, and the arguements started with the wife over time spent etc etc.

He died of a heart attack after putting on 3 stone and his wife said the stress killed him :mad:

I remember a comment he made to me about his final discision to take the job it was "If i take this job i can retire sooner and we can spend more time fishing"............

I will miss him.

dave_h:

I heard the sad news of an old work buddy who suddenly died at 45 . :mad:

For many years he happily drove his van around working mon-fri for a modest wage. We used to go fishing at weekends and what a laugh we had.

He recently started his new job doubling his money but weekends were out for fishing.

I kept in contact but could hear he was struggling with the stress, and the arguements started with the wife over time spent etc etc.

He died of a heart attack after putting on 3 stone and his wife said the stress killed him :mad:

I remember a comment he made to me about his final discision to take the job it was "If i take this job i can retire sooner and we can spend more time fishing"............

I will miss him.

A sad but familiar story! Mind you the extra 3 stone in weight probably didn't help! I recently sold my business and after a couple of years in a stress free job, I am pleased to say my whole outlook on life has changed. Nowhere near as grumpy and aggressive, problems are not problems any more.

As for the money, I only earn half as much now but I can manage perfectly well.

So although a necessary evil, money ain't the be all and end all.

My only trouble is the extra 3 stones I have put on//

Colin

:(

That is a really sad tale and an awful way to lose a friend :(

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

That sound's very familiar and as soon as I have finished my next 2 weekend jobs then that is me back to a 4-5 day week for the winter so I can enjoy the rivers when they quieten down a bit.

It's amazing that you can put on weight even though you are working 7 days a week and I should know.

I think part of it is you are too knackered to do anything when you get home so you flop in front of the puter with your feet up.

John.

Poor man. A sad end for an angler.

They say fishing is a pretty good pastime for relieving stress? Maybe if he found sometime to keep up his old hobby he might be still around today? But maybe not. Putting on 3 stone wouldn't have helped. And you can't blame the wife for wanting him to spend more time at home away from work - I'm sure she was just getting at him out of concern for his health.

A lesson to us all

i blame modern ethics ,when i started at the uni ,i applied for the post (i had already been doing the job for 3 months) it was advertised at grade C ,i had the phone call advising me that the job was mine ,but at grade A because i had insuficiant qualifications (c & g not worth a thing) i had no choice to except (anythings better than the dole) the job description was a joke everything ended with "as required" :mad:

when i started the department consisted of 3 floors

when i left, the department had ammalgamated with two others it now consisted of 7 floors .

one of my jobs was electrical safety testing ,making pcbs for the students for their projects the rest of my time was repairing equiptment damaged by the students (and academics)

each floor had a safety tester when i started ,by the time i left there was only me ,i was also making boards for the 2 satellite departments and the microwave department .

to get any form of upgrade you either had to get further qualifications or upgrade your job description ,i could do neither there wasnt any qualifications for the things i was doing and i couldnt take on other jobs as i was already doing it all :mad:

i left after 5 years still not on the grade the job was advertised for :mad:

people are forced to fill in for people that leave ,they can add parts of the leavers job description to theirs for a couple of hundred pounds a year extra ,out of the 13 techs and 3 trainees that were there when i started there were 5 techs left yet the department had grown ,the student intake had grown ,this 5 + the academics kept the department alive we supported the 20 or so managers above us ,what was i paid for this £12,500 pa ,you can see why education is going down the pan

they spent more on carpets (imported from america) than the 5 techs earn in 5 years :mad: :(

why? because the head of the school decided to change the schools name ,so new carpets ,paintwork ,advertising signs ,letterheads everything ,just to put his stamp on the thing ,unfortunatly the carpets were worn out in 18months they looked pretty but thousands of trips of students wore them out ,the paintwork was changed again when some royal opened a new wing and a visit by the vice chancellor (for 1/2 an hour) demanded a complete re decoration :mad: the more money they get the more stupid they are

[ 03. September 2002, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes, very sad, but at least he tried to do his best. Despite what some people say, money can, and does, bring happiness.

Unfortunately, aquiring it can be really stressful.

Could you pass on my condolences to his widow,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic