It Actually Happened - My Rod Licence Was Checked!

Elton

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling that they would turn up to check licenses yesterday and I am also expecting them to turn up on Saturday at The Itchen. I am glad that they are out there checking, but that is only the second time for me in 30 years of fishing. I wish I could see more of them. When they do seem to check it is usually organised matches or events, as they know there will be a number of people there to check. They obviously read these forums and others

Paul

Quest:

I have only had mine checked once, Back in August. It shuld happen more often. It gets to me when walking down the park in close season and there are people fishing.   :mad:      :mad:  

The statutory close season only applies to rivers, not canals or ponds.

I'm assuming that you are talking about a park lake.

Who controls the fishing? Do they impose a close season of their own?

On my 'local' park lake, it's open during the 'close season', but then closes a few weeks later, for a few weeks! (Confuses me no end!).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Serious question: how far down tidal water does one require a licence? Is there a point where for EA licencing purposes a tidal river is designated as being an estuary, or the sea for that matter?

I wouldn't have thought it was a matter of salinity because that varies according to whether the tide is ebbing or flooding, depends on the tide cycle, too (springs or neaps), rainfall as well.

In my case it's a purely academic question because those of us who fish in freshwater as well as tidal and brackish waters will have a licence anyway - I'm just interested in the official (legal?) view.

Jim I have always wondered this one to.I think the salinity thing surely must be the answer.For example the Medway is tidal below Allington lock but is still fresh water so requires a rod licence.On the other hand the Rother below Star lock is salt water so surely doesnt?

Mind you I did once get asked for my rod licence (bizzarely enough for the first time in many years and not again since)whilst mullet fishing below the lock on the Rother....er then again the EA baillif was also going to book me for fishing for the "chub" out of season so cant really put much faith in his interpretation of the rules! Was having a right ding dong with him untill the lock keeper who is also an EA employee pointed out the situation!

:rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest sslatter

JG: "Serious question: how far down tidal water does one require a licence?"

I think it's up to 6 miles out to sea! IF you're fishing for coarse fish/eels/game fish.

The Itchen is a case in point: at Woodmill the river was dammed, and the watercourse was diverted, creating a neat cut-off between the tidal saltwater stretch and the upstream freshwater stretch. Woodmill Lane runs right through the two stretches, and the EA are quite hot on policing the freshwater side, but they don't cross over the road to the tidal side, but..

Last year a new EA Bailiff appeared, who was not au fait with the river. He crossed over to the tidal side, where a friend of mine was mulleting, and asked to see his licence. He got short shrift, and went away muttering threats, saying he would be back with his supervisor. He hasn't been seen since. In short, the EA leave the tidal stretch alone. It's just as well, because it hardly holds any coarse fish escapees at all, just mullet ("just"! :D ), bass and flounders in season. No one in their right minds would fish that stretch for coarse fish.

I wrote and asked the EA, this is what they replied:

"A Rod Licence is required when fishing for freshwater fish, eels, Salmon or Sea Trout anywhere in England or Wales and out to 6 miles at sea.

Any angler deemed to be fishing for these whether in marine, tidal or freshwater will need to ensure they are licenced for them, whether or not they have caught.

For enforcement, the Agency will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with a method liable to catch these species.

If so they will enforce the licence requirement.

Regards

William Fawcett

Environment Agency

Public Enquiries Co-ordinator

Head Office Operations, Executive Office

01454 624411"

In fact a few years ago the NFSA took up cudgels on behalf of sea anglers fishing for eels and accomodations were made by the EA, so that in effect anglers fishing for eels in the sea don't have to worry about having a licence.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 15. February 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Thanks Graham and Leon. As I said, it's purely an academic question in my case, and in practical terms probably irrelevant anyway because I doubt that the situation would arise in brackish or estuarine waters (let alone "up to six miles out to sea!") Interesting, though.