The joys of laying laminate flooring

Tyke

Just been laying laminate flooring in my daughters bedroom and a conservatory ive had built.

Im not into decorating or dee eye why so these things dont come easy to me.

My mate came round to give me a hand and he amazed me by knowing where and how much to cut off and all without staring at it for ages!!!

I must say its good stuff once its all down but whilst laying it i kept thinking this stuff is gonna move about and creak like mad.

I envy folk who find decorating and laying laminate floors a doddle.

Give me a pc that gone belly up and ill sort it out anyday.

So if anyone needs there pc sorting im the man.....as long as you decorate my hall and landing :D ...or lay me a patio

[ 21. February 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Tyke ]

laid it in my two daughters rooms, bloody nightmare every time they drop something it sounds like they are coming through the ceiling

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

yes tyke it does creak and as tony says it s most annoying when something is dropped i knew of the drawbacks being a joiner but was persuaded by my lady to lay it any way cant wait til carpets bak in fash....

when you think you know everything think again....

Tyke:

or lay me a patio      

I am no good at diy either but managed to do the whole flat with laminate flooring, the part I enjoyed the most was putting the edges in, a challenge to say the least :D

It shows just how much dust gathers that you never notice with nice warm and soft carpet :)

The health people recomend vacuming carpets once a week for every person in the house now how does that work when there are 20 people in an office :confused:

As for your patio Tyke why not use the stones that you can buy that make up a patern, you just level the ground, lay and tamp down sand then lay and tamp down the stones, it's dead easy, even I can do it :D

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

I did our whole house last year and all is well apart from the noise as has been said. I've got 2 Jack Russells so carpets would be wrecked in no time. The problem is you know exactly where in the house they are for the pitter patter of their little feet.

I posted on here for tips before doing mine and I can't remember who said it, but some sound advice was - measure twice, cut once.

Looking back, I wouldn't fancy doing it again to be honest.

HB.

The Patio i need to lay is part concrete and as a drain cover in the middle too.

So i have to match the flags to the concrete which cocks up me wanting a coloured pattern.

As usual im trying to get all me jobs done so i can get out fishing come the spring.

Tony c, i see what you mean about the noise, i thought she was chucking her tv off the wardrobe!!!!!

Tyke:

The Patio i need to lay is part concrete and as a drain cover in the middle too.

So i have to match the flags to the concrete which cocks up me wanting a coloured pattern.

Can't you raise the level above the drain cover so that you can still use the coloured patern and if you need access to the drain you just have to remove some of the stones and sand? Lets face it how often do you lift the drain cover :)

Could you lay the patern and cut the stones so that a big plant pot could be used to cover the drain cover?

I imagine its great fun having 2 Jack Russels skidding around the floor :D:D

Alan(nl)

[ 22. February 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Tyke,

I am a Landscape Gardener by trade, and can give you any advice on this to help you.

When you say its part concrete, do you mean the concrete is already there ?

Did you know that you can get a sunken manhole cover to replace your existing one, and put a flag inside it to continue your pattern ?

I strongly advise you using a membrane, called Terram , under the flags , to supress weed growth etc.

Im on here most days, so if you want to know anything , ask away !

Good luck !

now me is no Landscape gardener, but was just about to say something on the same lines.

Johnny Boy is your man.

also

"I imagine its great fun having 2 Jack Russels skidding around the floor"

I have two yellow labs(gun dogs), and that's the reason I never fitted the laminate flooring.(noise)

I am about to buy my own house (yippy) and am hoping that the new (old)house has got herringbone flooring.

I'm thinking the thicker the wood the better?

Johnny Boy:

Tyke,

I am a Landscape Gardener by trade, and can give you any advice on this to help you.

When you say its part concrete, do you mean the concrete is already there ?

Did you know that you can get a sunken manhole cover to replace your existing one, and put a flag inside it to continue your pattern ?

I strongly advise you using a membrane, called Terram , under the flags , to supress weed growth etc.

Im on here most days, so if you want to know anything , ask away !

Good luck !