Do you us the right 'weight' of tackle?

I've always been told that it's no fun and not sporting to use over-heavy tackle. I saw a guy the other day fishing on the Thames using stuff which would have dealt with congers from a sea boat.

On the other hand, it could be said that the whole point of 'general' fishing on a river or lake is that you could find yourself stuck into just about anything.

Any thoughts?

I'm a pike fisherman and I see no point whatsoever in fishing over light for them.

2.25/2.5tc rods for rivers 2.75/3.0 for lakes

50+ lb braid, 30/40lb wire

Job done

Sure there are people that fish light for other species though

I do fish what is considered light but on the flip side i'm not targeting huge species if i happen to hook something much bigger it then becomes a combination on skill and luck as to wether i land it.

Typical situation fishing the canal 3lbs mainline 2lbs bottom size 20 hook single maggot

catching roach and skimmers up to about a 1 1/2lbs then hook into a carp of 15lbs am i fishing to light???

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Theres a difference between using heavy tackle and balanced tackle and if your tackle is well balanced (ie. through action rod/test curve/line strength etc. all match well) you can normally safely put much more pressure on a fish without the hook pulling and absorb the sudden dashes that the fish makes a lot better. On a tiny river that I fish I catch Barbel on 6lb line with no problems whereas my mate who uses 10lb line regularly gets snapped up. but I use a better rod that gives a little more and seems to tire the fish easier resulting in getting the fish in and back into the water much faster. However using light gear can be taken too far; I remember reading in the Anglers Mail once about someone catching a 13lb Barbel in a match on the Kennet using 3lb line. the poor fish must have been on its last legs (or fins) by the time he got it in the net (or it must have been an old weak fish).

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

However using light gear can be taken too far; I remember reading in the Anglers Mail once about someone catching a 13lb Barbel in a match on the Kennet using 3lb line. the poor fish must have been on its last legs by the time he got it in the net (or it must have been an old weak fish).

Not always the case BB.

I've found that by not allowing the fish to pick up a head of speed, and keeping up a constant, steady pressure, even relatively light (balanced) tackle can often bring in a fish quicker and cause less stress than hauling away with heavy gear. Less chance of mouth damage too.

Obviously you have to have the right action in the rod and the rest of the set up balanced to suit.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I use tackle suitable for the species I'm trying to catch and take into account any other physical considerations like sharp gravel bars, overhanging trees, reedbeds, etc. On almost all waters there's a chance of hooking something monstrous, but there's no point gearing yourself up for that just in case.

These's always a range of tackle strengths for your target species and the conditions on the day, for example for tench it might be an avon-type rod with line of 5-10lb bs. I might start with 6lb as a mid-point. If it's being grated against gravel bars or fish are getting weeded, I would step up to 8lb or 10lb.

Balanced tackle is key, as Boldbear says.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I fish light line (or at least comparatively in the US) most of the time. Steelhead fishing in low clear water is tough with heavier stuff so I'll often fish 2-4lb fluorocarbon. Having landed more than my fair share of big steelhead on 2-4 lb line (on fly, spinning, and float rods) I've gained a new respect for what quality light line can do for you. As such, I've dropped down to 4 and 6 lb test where I would have fished 6, 8, or 10 previously. I have no problems fishing 6X and 7X fly tippet for big fish so long as there aren't any snags around. As mentioned above, if your gear is balanced and you know how to use it, you can land some big fish on really light line. My second best carp was landed on 6X tippet (about 3.4 lb test) back home at the river. Since it was wide open river it wasn't a problem and I landed the 20+ lb carp. My PB carp was over 30 and it came on a 5 wt fly rod and 6 lb tippet. Similar situation, open river, no snags.

It is important to know your gear though and push it as hard as it will go. You'll loose a few fish in the learning process, but you'll learn just how much pressure you can put on a fish with light line.

Thanks

Rick

i go and float fish lakes sometimes and use a through action 1and 1/4 pound test curve Avon rod with five or six pound line 12 hook and single grain of sweet corn. i have caught roach of a few ounces to a pound, bream and hybrids to four pounds, tench to five and a half pounds and carp to 12 pounds all on this set up. its a big lake that i fish and there are not too many snags although i have lost the odd carp that took me to into some tree roots but this is unusual i usually net the fish once hooked here. what i am saying is that balanced tackel is everything and it must also balance with the anglers experience and ability.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I use tackle suitable for the species I'm trying to catch and take into account any other physical considerations like sharp gravel bars, overhanging trees, reedbeds, etc. On almost all waters there's a chance of hooking something monstrous, but there's no point gearing yourself up for that just in case.

These's always a range of tackle strengths for your target species and the conditions on the day, for example for tench it might be an avon-type rod with line of 5-10lb bs. I might start with 6lb as a mid-point. If it's being grated against gravel bars or fish are getting weeded, I would step up to 8lb or 10lb.

Balanced tackle is key, as Boldbear says.

I'd say on some waters there is a point in tackiling up according to the fish in there

An example is somewhere like Chew that potentially holds pike up to 40lb, you'd be gutted if you hooked something large and didn't have confidence etc in your tackle.

I'm not going to knock what people have said about balanced tackle though..no point in using 50lb braid with rods rated to 1/1.5lbs lol