"Milly"

Colin Payne

Polly:

I couldn't agree more, hang the b@rstards. But I know there's a lot of "do-gooders out there who don't share our views. I posted a similar thread a while back and was shocked by some some of the replies.

Polly, you fail to understand that once the suspect/s have been found their guilt has to be PROVEN. This applies to all crimes.

The reason why your previous post caused so much argument was because you were saying that Huxley's girlfriend should be hung and there was no proof as to how much or little involvement she had in the murders.

I do agree with you to some extent though. Punishments are too slack in this Country and offenders do "get away with murder" so to speak. I'd love to see stricter penalties for ALL crimes but as previously quoted; proof and necessary evidence should be brought to hand first.

bitsbobs:

offenders do "get away with murder" so to speak.  I'd love to see stricter penalties for ALL crimes

There is no denying that hanging results in a much lower proportion of re-offenders than any other penalty

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

[ 25. September 2002, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The death penalty will never be the ultimate deterrent, but it would stop re-offenders, providing that the crime was proved without doubt. Can you honestly say that all convictions these days are proven, and without doubt, cos if you can, you should be sat at the right hand of him above.

[ 26. September 2002, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Nugg, You can never prove ALL cases "without doubt". Society doesn't have to - the wording is "beyond reasonable doubt"

Much is made of supposedly innocent parties being wrongly convicted. With modern methods of checking DNA that is now even less likely.

There was a lot of fuss raised a month or so back over Hanratty's supposed innocence, but retrospective DNA studies show his conviction was justified.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

What a sad world we live in and what a sad topic to discuss, but unless something is done and done soon, we could be discussing this sort of topic for years. I personally would like to see capital punishment be bought back in providing that the evidence against them was strong enough to prove their guilt. I think DNA is more or less conclusive enough to convict the B*gger/s. There would be no shortage of people willing to carry out the execution of a child murderer.

I have a 12 year old daughter and she isnt allowed to do half the things I was allowed to do when I was her age, this violent world is depriving our children of their freedom that we had when we were young.

Then we have the bl**dy perverts, child molesters etc which im sure are on the increase, unfortunately, I think due to the internet.

Children need are protection, but apart from locking them up 24 hrs, how can we protect them other than constant nagging about the dangers. I've always advised my daughter never to be alone while out playing, but even this advice is now useless - ref poor hollie and jessica.

I hope the government find an answer - perhaps if they turned up their hearing aids and listened to the public we might eventually get what we want.

I also, personally think it was wrong for the farmer to be convicted for shooting a burglar in his own home, but then thats justice for you.