Pole Help Reqd. Please

Del_R

The lad's decided that he wants to try a spot of pole fishing next time out and to this end has borrowed his uncle's pole. Now I know nothing about poles but I suspect this one is fairly old. All the ones that I've seen bankside appear to come apart into lots of lengths, whereas this is totally telescopic. My question is this - what end tackle do I need to purchase in order to keep the lad happy? I've seen the end of the pole and all that's there is a tiny wire loop. This doesn't match up with anything that I've seen in the magazines/websites that I've been perusing (all of which mention bungs and bushes and connectors, none of which I can figure out how to attach to this particular pole).

All help gratefully received!

Cheers, Del.

Get down to the nearest tackle shop asap.

Tell them where he's going to fish and

what for, that's the way forward.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

the bit of kit you have is a whip not a pole the line is tied directly to the metal ring you described on the very tip with float and hook beneath. have never used one myself but due to the limited amount of line on the whip i suspect there used for small silver fish that do not run too far as playing anything bigger could damage the whip or more importantly the fish when hooked and lost.starter poles are available now for as little as £40 with all the required bungs , connectors , elastic etc

Cheers Johnny! You've answered two questions in one as I've often wondered what a whip was (but have been too embarrassed to ask on account of either appearing dense or for fear of entering a painful and dark side of angling!).

Kind Regards,

Del

Del, never be afraid to ask a question which you think may make you look 'a bit thick'

With fishing you cannot expect to know everything although quite a lot of people do profess to. :rolleyes:

I don't know everything and learn something new most times on the bank and even in the tackle shop. Tackle shop owners are there for help and advice and not just for selling fishing tackle. If they won't tell you anything then don't go in their shop.

Never be afraid of asking questions if you are unsure, at the end of the day ignorance is responsible for harming fish.

Ask away mate.

Del_R - that sort of 'pole' is more common in the US than the UK from what I gather. Your normal long, sectional poles are slightly less common than teeth in a chicken though.

If you are interested, there are some bits for sale here that make one of those much nicer to fish with. Rings that slip on and off plus a very small (and very inexpensive) multiplier style reel that is mostly a line holder but with some proper use of thumb pressure can allow you to give and take line if you happen to get a monster on the whip. They are limber enough that you can deal with some surprisingly large fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My web site will give you a little help, but getting your lad down to the tackle shop to sit with a few will be the best idea. If you don't like your tackle dealer, take the kids uncle for advise

But here is some reading

Pole fishing

Lee Wood

My anglersnet gold award winning website:www.fishyworld.co.uk

Del,I would sugest removing the wire eye as they have a habbit of comming out! You can get a glue on Stonfo connector to replace it.Take the tip down your local shop and they can then give you the correct size.Alternatively you can get the whip fitted with an elastic.Some thing that is becoming just as popular these days on whips as it is on full poles.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!