Digital camera

darrell.cook

I've had my digital camera for a number of years now, and can't imagine not having one now. Paying for developing then finding the shots were c**p - No thanks, not anymore!!

Only drawback is it does not have a viewfinder - just the little screen. When you're outdoors it's really pot luck as sometimes you can't see anything if it's a bright day :(

My video cameras naff, bit like the Russian ones Del boy was flogging!!

So should I get a digital video job to kill two birds with one stone ?

If so any recommendations ?

Anything to avoid?

I'll be in the States soon, so should I buy one there ? any problems with buying over there ?

The dollar at the moment would mean an attractive price.

Any help much appreciated

[ 04. March 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: darrell.cook ]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a long 'digital camera' discussion a while back on here.

I needed to replace my aging camera and based on what I read, the Canon Powershot cameras seemed like by far the best option. I lusted after the A-80 but finally got an A-60. Love it. Take a look Here for info on all their Powershot line.

Since the same camera is sold US and UK, I wouldn't think you'd have problems getting work done if needed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you do decide on one, give this link to Dabs.com a click. I've used them loads over the years.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

For a carry around Point and Shoot, I agree with Newt - a Canon A60 or A80 is a fantastic camera, it gives great shots and also has creative facilities that can give vastly improved shots once you learn how to use them.

I buy my lenses for my Digi SLR from the states - due to the favourable exchange rate, what I do is buy them with my credit card and get them delivered to a friend in the states house, they then send them on to me and declare them as a gift. Meaning I have to pay "no" crazy duties or taxes - just send them over the cost of mailing it to me.

Then again, if you are going over to the US - just buy it over there (if in NYC keep away from those camera shops around Times Square, and keep in mind the city tax - B&H is a good camera store) you should have no problem - unless you are plugging it up to a TV to preview images, this possibly could cause a problem with the NTSC & Pal formats - I am unsure on this,anyone got any experiences? also if the camera you purchase has its own dedicated battery and charger - you may need a plug convertor for the charger - but if it uses regular AA batteries etc you will be fine.

Things to avoid are camera's that go on about a digital zoom - digital zoom is complete not real, no zoom at all - basically magnifies as image taken by 2, so its blurred/looses image quality (same as taking a photo and zooming in on your computer) - you should be looking at the optical zoom - most come with a X3 optical now.

Image size/quality is getting better and better all the time, I would not go below anything below 2.1 megapixel for shots you may wish to print up to A4 - looking at 3 megapixel and above for increased photo quality.

You usually get media for the camera's you buy with it, but they are not often very much - ie 8 or 16 megs - I would shop around and get at least a 128meg media card - the price of them is dropping all the time. check out www.7dayshop.com for good prices on all different kinds of media cards, and other photography accesories.

Hope this helps some.

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Im not up to this digi camera stuff. Just bought a cheap mini digi the paper work says I can increase the memory up to 256 MB. But are Smart Media cards the same thing as SD/ MMC which the camera booklet says I need.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

No Smart Media cards are not the same as SD (Secure Digital) and MMC (Multi Meda Card) - though SD and MMC are virtually the same, and a number of digi camera's can take them both.

Smart Media cards, are about double the physical size of SD/MMC.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Thanks for the info guys, i see the link that elton gave shows the A60 for £125 - that can't be bad!

Is a digital video camera with still image facility a good thing ? Or is it best to have seperate ones ?

If these are any good - any recommendations ?

Newt - what price is the A60 in the US at present ?

I eould appreciate someone telling me about digi-cameras, I have two! I haven't a clue how to work them, maybe someone can help me! I have an AGFA 780c and an AIPTEK palm cam. I used the Agfa about two years ago (once) but the Aiptek has never been used.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I have a big problem with mine that I cant fix. Operating system is Windows 98 and the camera is a Mustek-800. The camera conects to a serial port by RS232 cable.

The camera has always worked OK without problems until now. I have not installed anything prior to this or download anything.

The twain will not grab the pictures from the camera. The twain is default set to grab the pictures from the cameras memory on start up . However the twain is set to grab pictures from a cf reader card. It will not change back ( and I do not know how it set itself to the cf reader card as there isnt one )to " read from cameras memory "

The device manager says the port is " working properly " If so , is it the port / computer can not see the camera and has chosen " read from cf card " as it can not see " read from cameras own memory "

I have uninstalled the twain and reinstalled successfully. I have bought a new serial cable . Neither of these has fixed the problem .

Any suggestions would be apreciated.