First blank of the year

RUDD

Hi John

Where on Barham did you catch? Did you have any big bags of tench/bream last year ?

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Hi John

Where on Barham did you catch? Did you have any big bags of tench/bream last year ?

Hi Gary

had very few tench last year there but lots of quality bream. Some good hybrids also to 3lbs or so. The previous year I had lots of tench but as you probably know tench were hard everywhere last year.

Hoping for a bumper year this year. Certainly a good start.

I night fished saturday and pulled rods in when I caught a bream at midnight. Everything was so frozen I thought fish would freeze to unhooking matt and lose scales.

My 2 landing nets were frozen to the ground I managed to free the pan net which was then like landing a fish on a long handle frying pan. My 10ltr water bottle was frozen solid and my gas inside my car would not work as it was too cold.

Spring fishing is fun. Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

John

Hi Gary

had very few tench last year there but lots of quality bream. Some good hybrids also to 3lbs or so. The previous year I had lots of tench but as you probably know tench were hard everywhere last year.

Hoping for a bumper year this year. Certainly a good start.

I night fished saturday and pulled rods in when I caught a bream at midnight. Everything was so frozen I thought fish would freeze to unhooking matt and lose scales.

My 2 landing nets were frozen to the ground I managed to free the pan net which was then like landing a fish on a long handle frying pan. My 10ltr water bottle was frozen solid and my gas inside my car would not work as it was too cold.

Spring fishing is fun. Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

John

Your nutz - night fishing Barham can be an experiance and a half.

Mind you this time of year the idiots are not out and about.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Rudd

Night fished barham for over 2 years now and have never had any trouble. Although as you say I had the whole lake to myself saturday night. Cannot understand where all the other anglers were. LOL

Did have 3 youths come along the riverside at 3.30 am first light on a spring morning. They had been at a night club and were on way home. No trouble to me as they were still canned up and easy targets if need be although they were friendly.

I sometimes think stories of trouble get exagerated. One carp angler there always seems to see people walking up and down the bank at nightys. When on busy bream nights I am out on the bank all night and have never seen anyone.

John

Hi Rudd

Night fished barham for over 2 years now and have never had any trouble. Although as you say I had the whole lake to myself saturday night. Cannot understand where all the other anglers were. LOL

Did have 3 youths come along the riverside at 3.30 am first light on a spring morning. They had been at a night club and were on way home. No trouble to me as they were still canned up and easy targets if need be although they were friendly.

I sometimes think stories of trouble get exagerated. One carp angler there always seems to see people walking up and down the bank at nightys. When on busy bream nights I am out on the bank all night and have never seen anyone.

John

There used to be break ins in the car park before the Gaps car park which had a combi lock on it.

Dont know the set up there now as not been there for years.

RUDD

There used to be break ins in the car park before the Gaps car park which had a combi lock on it.

Dont know the set up there now as not been there for years.

Hi Rudd

there are 2 locked gates to get in now or a long walk from great blakenham end. Long walk is not much good to steal gear.

There was a layby on a14 people used to come down onto water but that is closed.

When I night fish the fens for zander winter time that is far more dangerous. Public roads very close and unsavoury sorts around. Barham is a pussy cat in comparison.

John

Hi Rudd

there are 2 locked gates to get in now or a long walk from great blakenham end. Long walk is not much good to steal gear.

There was a layby on a14 people used to come down onto water but that is closed.

When I night fish the fens for zander winter time that is far more dangerous. Public roads very close and unsavoury sorts around. Barham is a pussy cat in comparison.

John

John in my early 20s work paid for me to do a first aiders course. On the last day of the course we only had to take the exam so finished at lunch time. I thought as I had the afternoon to myself I would go fishing.

So off to Barham I went settling into a swim along cyanide straight with the layby directly behind me.

Well after a couple of hours and cars pulling in and out of the layby

I heard a couple of cars revving engines signalling their intetion of pulling out then a very loud bang crash wollop.

Two cars had pulled out and had been rear ended. I climbed over the fence ran up the bank thinking oh no typical just do a first aiders course and this turns up.

Get to the top of the bank and see what looks like a scene from casualty. I run over to the first car to help, the driver is already out of the car checking the children in the back it turns out he and his friend driving the other car are both paramedics and have everything in hand. I Make a quick exit and carry on fishing.

The thing that you see fishing!! Glad it's a relaxing sport.

Edited by garylee

John in my early 20s work paid for me to do a first aiders course. On the last day of the course we only had to take the exam so finished at lunch time. I thought as I had the afternoon to myself I would go fishing.

So off to Barham I went settling into a swim along cyanide straight with the layby directly behind me.

Well after a couple of hours and cars pulling in and out of the layby

I heard a couple of cars revving engines signalling their intetion of pulling out then a very loud bang crash wollop.

Two cars had pulled out and had been rear ended. I climbed over the fence ran up the bank thinking oh no typical just do a first aiders course and this turns up.

Get to the top of the bank and see what looks like a scene from casualty. I run over to the first car to help, the driver is already out of the car checking the children in the back it turns out he and his friend driving the other car are both paramedics and have everything in hand. IMake a quick exit and carry on fishing.

The thing that you see fishing!! Glad it's a relaxing sport.

From what I remember a car left the A14 &

landed on an anglers van roof near that laybye

RUDD

Didn't hear about that, when was it: I've lived here for 6 years now and have not fished Barham since moving.

I was fishing the beach at Barham we had had a lot of rain and the river had overflowed into the pits.

To show how flooded the pits were I had to sit at the top of the bank the water was about a foot up the bank so none of the beach was showing.

I had been catching bream in the highly coloured water when I heard a helicopter it went over to the other side of the pits to the area roughly between 1st and 2nd point and went down behind the trees so didn't see it land. A few minutes later it returned over the pits and went down/ landed on the open in front of a pit.

It then flew away: a couple of hours later a van turned up with boat tied to the roof and a couple of carp anglers.

They had been fishing on the river side bank and had been cut off by the flood and called the coast guard to be rescued.

They rowed over to the far bank to collect their tackle.

Edited by garylee

Well Rudd and garylee

Did another sesion at barham b.

Didn't fish friday although arrived late afternoon but needed a sleep. Fished 2 tip rods with feeders all day saturday and had one hybrid. It was minus 2 saturday morning.

Fished all night saturday and had 2 more hybrids and a bream at first light.

It was minus 5 there this morning.

The bream was 6.2 the 2 hybrids in the night were 3.6 and 3.4. The smaller one was almost a perfect roach a lovely looking fish but the one saturday was 4.12. A superb hybrid which like all hybrids fought like a tench and looked gorgeaous.

Didn't get raped beaten up or had gear stolen but hey it could be fun if they try.

John