First blank of the year

RUDD

Just back from a bike ride and found a nice spot out of the wind next to the water just as the sun went down.

It took half an hour but I soon saw Roach topping in several areas.

I suspect during daylight the Roach are sitting in the no fishing area which is in the shallower part of the water where there are alot of trees and roots in the water - hence no fishing area. The waters Carp population tend to spend alot of time in that area as do the Tench.

In the evenings I think they then head out into open water and that is why I see them topping in the evenings.

I only know of one angler who has had a decent day Roach fishing the water.

This was during drought conditions where the water level was well down and the snaggy area was waterless.

The angler caught in a channel that runs from the snags into open water.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Just back from a bike ride and found a nice spot out of the wind next to the water just as the sun went down.

It took half an hour but I soon saw Roach topping in several areas.

I suspect during daylight the Roach are sitting in the no fishing area which is in the shallower part of the water where there are alot of trees and roots in the water - hence no fishing area. The waters Carp population tend to spend alot of time in that area as do the Tench.

In the evenings I think they then head out into open water and that is why I see them topping in the evenings.

I only know of one angler who has had a decent day Roach fishing the water.

This was during drought conditions where the water level was well down and the snaggy area was waterless.

The angler caught in a channel that runs from the snags into open water.

It actually sounds like an interesting water and one that would be good to fish on a hot summers night :).

It actually sounds like an interesting water and one that would be good to fish on a hot summers night :).

I agree - I've followed your posts about this water with great interest. It's very clear, isn't it? Does it fish better when the wind roughs it up a bit?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

It certainly is and early mornings or evenings are the best times to fish.

Night fishing is allowed but only on Saturdays.

Its deep and crystal clear, also full of Zebra mussels which cut your line in an instant.

I have caught most fish late evenings in the hour after sunset and have convinced myself the fish come out and feed at night on any bait put in during daylight.

RUDD

I agree - I've followed your posts about this water with great interest. It's very clear, isn't it? Does it fish better when the wind roughs it up a bit?

I have never seen it still - theres always a ripple.

The Terrapins have been hooked on maggots in the past as well as some big Eels. Big Carp, Bream,Tench and Crucians - thats why I think there must be some big Roach.

RUDD

Now...if you had a pint of mixed maggots you could have lived things up by sorting them into colour groups.

I admit it is only marginally more exciting than watching paint dry but who wants to lug a litre of emulsion about?

"Muddlin' along"

I have never seen it still - theres always a ripple.

The Terrapins have been hooked on maggots in the past as well as some big Eels. Big Carp, Bream,Tench and Crucians - thats why I think there must be some big Roach.

Are the terrapins still in there Rudd, they are getting on a bit now. I can remember about 20 years ago early spring and still quite cold seeing a dark shadow swimming against the far bank. I flicked a couple of crusts out to see if what I thought was a carp would rise only to see a terrapin haul itself out onto a slightly sunmerged tree stump. Edited by garylee

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Are the terrapins still in there Rudd, they are getting on a bit now. I can remember about 20 years ago early spring and still quite cold seeing a dark shadow swimming against the far bank. I flicked a couple of crusts out to see if what I thought was a carp would rise only to see a terrapin haul itself out onto a slightly sunmerged tree stump.

There are some in both the top and bottom

pools which one were you fishing?

Dont know how long they live for but they were active last year and there were a good few of them. I presume they hibernate over the winter.

RUDD

The top but seen them in the bottom one as well. They'll be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I was sitting on the bar looking to the right across the little bay.

I caught one once on the waggler with maggot at Barham Pits fishing cyanide straight.

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

The top but seen them in the bottom one as well. They'll be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I was sitting on the bar looking to the right across the little bay.

I caught one once on the waggler with maggot at Barham Pits fishing cyanide straight.

Hi Gary

funny you should mention Barham B.

Caught this saturday afternoon along with another sunday morning when the temp was minus 5c. The water was 6c. also had 5 good sized bream to 7lbs. Not ideal tench conditions.

John

marchjohns279_zpsf5ed1532.jpg