So the ban on hand-guns worked then!!!!

Gaffer

"Maybe the sick retards Peter was referring to where the ones in Hungerford, Dunblane and more recently Aston."

I wasn't really thinking of the first two, although it has to be made as difficult as possible for severely mentally ill people to get hold of, (feel free to cringe if I use this tired cliché), "weapons of mass destruction"...yeugghh.

Was the Aston killing the shooting of the two girls? If so, that is more in line with what I was thinking of. Be it gangster or gangsta, or just plain, old-fashioned macho crap, the warped belief has arisen among a section of the population, that guns are cool, and that carrying one earns you respect. When someone is so mentally impoverished as to actually believe that, it is obvious that if everyone else was allowed to carry guns, they would have to step up to something bigger and even more dangerous to achieve the same effect. I can't remember any other period in which gun-toting psychopaths were so broadly worshipped by the music industry.

And to think The Sex Pistols caused nationwide shock and outrage by merely using a picture of the Queen with a safety pin stuck through her nose.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the knife law is stupid there is an age ban on kids buying them ,but on ebay the only proof of age is the use of a modem , i emailed the trading standards in a town of a "seller" pointing this out several months ago , the reply was "we`l bring it up in our next meeting" nothing was ever heard and the knives are still available

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My Aunt owned and ran a gun club of which it's membership usually held (stored) their weapons on the premises under strict laws or thier homes under stricter laws. Not once during the lifetime of the club were there any problems with the membership or their weapons. Yet the government saw fit to ban such weapons because of incidents involving illegally held weapons.

Where's the logic in that?? :confused:

quote:

I'm not in a very good mood for discussing guns. I've had to suffer the sound of over ten shots a minute being fired from shotguns, from 10am until 3pm. I don't know where on earth it was coming from, but it must have been at least two or three miles away. Just think how much lead has been scattered around in that time. And it happens every Sunday throughout the whole winter.

Hmmm, sounds to me like a clay pigeon club (or Skeet) where, incidentally, they wouldn't be using lead shot.

Peter, using your analagy then, just because a joyrider kills an inocent victim in a stolen car then not only should all legally owned cars be banned, but so should allegally owned motor-racing cars that have to conform to stricter laws?

[ 19. January 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

There is of course another viewpoint that says that if we were all allowed to possess and carry firearms then the cowardly "macho men" would soon be shown up for what they really are,....JUST IMAGINE THE LOOK ON THERE FACES IF SOMEONE WERE TO SHOOT BACK

As history has taught (some) of us, safety comes with strength, criminals will only flourish where they perceive easy pickings.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have no problem whatsoever with target shooting guns of any kind being securely held by gun clubs, I certainly don't think they should be allowed in people's homes or on any public land. In many places close to where I go fishing, there are metal sign posts dented by shotgun pellets. It's bad enough to know that there are immature idiots like that out there with guns, without making it easier for them.

It is mainly hand guns we are talking about here though, as they can be concealed under clothing, whereas a target shooting rifle might cause an unsightly bulge under the type of clothing typically worn in the average seedy nightclub. Of course hardened criminals don't take any notice of the legality, but as long as it remains a serious offence to possess a handgun, it will surely deter those youngsters who might otherwise carry one out of bravado.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Sharpe:

Of course hardened criminals don't take any notice of the legality, but as long as it remains a serious offence to possess a handgun, it will surely deter those youngsters who might otherwise carry one out of bravado.

Peter, when handguns were 'on ticket' in the UK, that ticket carried strict requirements and the right to own a firearm could be taken away should the person concerned be found guilty of even the most minor, non-gun-related crime.

Thus, those that held firearms certificates had passed what amounts to a 'social M.O.T. and had proven themselves to be long-term, law-abiding citizens. Yet, due to the actions of two madmen - both of whom had been previously 'caught' by the licensing system - thousands of law-abiding people lost their sport.

Not suprisingly, taking away legally and responsibly held guns hasn't affected the criminals' use of firearms one bit - and that's exactly how it would be if your desired ban on air rifles was brought in. I say again, please don't use the, highly publicised, actions of a few to condemn the law-abiding majority.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Wordbender:

Peter, when handguns were 'on ticket' in the UK, that ticket carried strict requirements and the right to own a firearm could be taken away should the person concerned be found guilty of even the most minor, non-gun-related crime.

One of the reasons for disallowing a Firearm Certificate is the applicant's 'intemperate' habits. A couple of over-limit driving convictions and your F.A.C. is gone for good.

Having a gun license is great stabilizing influence. You can't afford to loose your temper with anybody, or it's lost.

Anybody who has grown up with guns, would rather loose their driving license than their gun license.

You get your driving license back after a time, and with a large insurance premium you are back on the road. Not so your F.A.C. without an expensive appeal to the courts.

Guest Ferret1959

Hereford,

Grow up or else I'll post that picture from you website, you know the one with the carp being dragged up the concrete in the keep net. :mad:

Any way what's a Betetta?

[ 21. January 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Ferret1959 ]