Boot disks..

Steve Randles

Okay I have a boot disk for my PC, what I want to know is how I edit this disk to put my own graphic on so that every time my PC boots up, I dont get the annoying graphic from www.dell.com.

Any ideas anyone? Which file on my boot disk do I edit?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Sorry about that, the graphic on my screen is all in a horrible blue colour with a URL on it...The above was not a plug!!!

I'll get my coat...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

generally p.c`s from manufacturers have a "recovery " sector on the harddrive (unless you have formatted) its in this all the basic bits work (unless its when windows starts) tweakui will let you get rid of the windows bits but if its in the boot sector then more work is needed ,the recovery sector is not usually played with if the machine is still under garauntee

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No recovery section...no guarantee...just a straight re-format from the boot disk...is all I ever do..about 3 times a year!!

Its the initial start-up screen that bugs me...not the o/s one...

Focal Planet

um thats got me :confused: it could be a hardware thing (like the energy sign for the monitor) best wait for newt :confused: :)

it seems to be catching i can even define a startup picture for my camera :( although why i`m not sure :) )

if you still get it using someone elses boot disk then its hardware if not copy theirs

if its a very modern monitor it could have the function to remove it under one of its settings (usually a multifunction round knob)actually on the monitor

[ 28. September 2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

D'bat - I think it should work fine. But if you are looking to animate other pictures, there are better ways to do it. Just couldn't use them for the start-up logo.

Steve - you got me seriously confused. You speak of a boot disk which normally takes you do a DOS prompt. No pictures or anything. What am I missing?

[ 28. September 2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President