Pike & The Moon

Elton

Further to Glenns remarks,It seems not to be the light as even if obscured the fishing is still a total waste.During daylight hours of the full moon the fishing is poor but no where near as bad as at night.

Mind you even though I have found the moon being visible or obscured by cloud makes no difference we obviously dont know how sensitive to its light a fish is.I say this as I have found perch to be really sensitive to changes in daylight.This is so on even water so deep or coloured that to human perception would stop the light making any difference.

[ 03. April 2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

' I sorta speculate that the fish were better able to feed during the nice bright night and not as hungry the next day. May be wrong but it seems a logical guess.'

An extremely astute observation there Newt! That makes about the first plausible explanation I've heard as to why moon cycles may have an effect on predator activity.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

'This is so on even water so deep or coloured that to human perception would stop the light making any difference.'

That's one of those variables I've often wondered about too Budgie. The same objectivity could be levelled at the old mantra that 'pike feed more readily on live/deads during high/low pressure readings'. Many waters carry a high degree of turbidity no matter what the external weather conditions are.

Aint fishing full of mysteries? Thankfully! :D

[ 03. April 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: slodger ]

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Would also explain why the "prey fish" like bream/tench etc are so inactive at night.They are certainly inactive during the high air pressure conditions that pike seem to feed well in.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

'Hi slodger - I'm more than happy to agree that there is a link, but I'd say it has to be moonlight that puts some fish off.'

My gut feeling is the same Glenn. I feel it's more likely to be the inherent light levels that are associated with any particular stage of the moon's cycle, that might govern a fishs' behaviour.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Here's a daft thought for you Budgie. (I'm full of them. :D )

Could the moon's gravitational pull have an effect on the prey fishs' ability to stay deep, and thereby safer, in the water? Perhaps they're easier for the preds to target during certain moon phases?

...I know, I know... but it's only idle speculation. :D:D:D

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

My theory (which is mine) is that the fish are stuck in synch with the lunar phase cycle through millions of years of evolution.

Because of the light thing.

They don't feed when it's overcast because those pesky clouds have a nasty habit of rolling back unannounced.

So the fish just take a few nights off when the threat is greatest.

( theory courtesy of Foster's lager. The gravitational pull between me and that 3rd can was irresistable )

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

BUDGIE:

Ah Glenn,so if they know its a full moon even without the light they must be sensitive to something other than the light?

Lol. That wouldn't make sense. See the bit about moon phases being out of synch with proximity.

No, they have a built-in 'time of the month' cycle. But it's just a theory Mine tho.

"Why does it take 4 bream to change a light bulb?"

regards

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.