and how fast a flow they have

Also how do large floods effect perch in the rivers

can they withstand the strong flow

or are they washed downstream

to calmer waters

Thanks

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

All three can certainly survive in fast flowing rivers, but must spend some time in the slower parts. I've caught perch, roach and pike in switi'sh glides (not shallow rapids !). I know they survive some very deep fast flowing floods in my local rivers ok.

Flow does not seem to be a problem from my experience but availability of silverfish is.

Upland streams carry a lower weight of biomass and that relates to the number of predators that they can carry.

hence alot of the upland fish rely on extra input to the system from flies etc.

"Muddlin' along"

On my local river the perch get caught in the faster stretches and never in the slower stretches, still haven't worked out why! Very peculiar

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

All three can certainly survive in fast flowing rivers, but must spend some time in the slower parts. I've caught perch, roach and pike in switi'sh glides (not shallow rapids !). I know they survive some very deep fast flowing floods in my local rivers ok.

Not perch or pike, but I've had a few bags of summer roach in 2 feet of water that was so fast I was fighting to stand in it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Flow does not seem to be a problem from my experience but availability of silverfish is.

Upland streams carry a lower weight of biomass and that relates to the number of predators that they can carry.

hence alot of the upland fish rely on extra input to the system from flies etc.

I've caught perch in a few upland streams that to my knowledge don't have much in the way of silvers in them.

I think if you count minnows as silvers there will be a lot less.

Maybe if Dave (vagabond) reads this, he can tell me what some of the upland weald streams that I've caught perch from have in them. I don't think there is much in the way of silvers in them.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Not perch or pike, but I've had a few bags of summer roach in 2 feet of water that was so fast I was fighting to stand in it.

Yeah Brian i've had roach in pretty strong flows of water but i've had quite a few perch and pike also. I don't mean rapids but quite strong flowing water of 18inch to a couple of foot and more. I've also had bream and carp in those conditions...oh and rudd.

All,

I'd be curious what "survive" much less "thrive" means in this context. Thrive, I'd say no, it is not their natural habitat. Thrive means to grow or develop vigorously Survive, maybe for a while but not as healthy, happy, unaffected fish. It simply isn't their place in nature.

Phone

Edit: (I didn't mean to ignore Tigger's comment on "survive". I think we are saying the same in essence.)

Edited by Phone

Yes they most certainly can, ive seen some of the best looking perch from The Leven, Balloch which is strong and fast most times as im sure you know.

Also seen one cracker of a pike take a swipe at a lure, only seen its tail like a "Middle finger" but it was one hell of a tail.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk