Cannon versus Nikon

nursejudy

The lenses that come with the cameras are ok but generally nothing special, buying the body seperately and then picking the lenses to suit is the best way to go but its also the most expensive.you generally end up buying better lenses than the kit ones anyway (my 18 - 55 & 55 - 200 that I got with my original 400D hardly ever see light of day now).

Edited by snakey1

Try one out in a shop before you buy, they may be heavier than you would like, especially with a long lens: as a typical example, a Canon 400mm f5.6. weighs 1250g - plus the camera of course.

The Canon kit lens 18-55 which comes with most cameras has been rated as the best in it's class. If you just buy a body you can pick an as new kit lens up on Ebay for about £50

Don't for get Sigma lens, I have a Sigma 10-22 for landscapes and it's brilliant, and I'm really chuffed with the Sigma 120-400 I bought recently.

I use this site a lot before purchasing, as they really do in depth reviews of cameras and lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Another site worth looking at is Canon on the Net

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php?s=1513dd5e9ecf0e347c279e3a0d8a3401

Yep I mainly use sigma lenses my favourites being the 50 - 500mm f4 - 6.3 and the 180mm f3.5 macro. although my canon 18- 55 is not a bad lens its quite old and I replaced it with a sigma 18- 200mm as a walkabout lens as it gives me more range to play with.

I'm still eyeing up sigmas 120 - 300f2.8 at the moment as it does keep calling to me.