Building A Fishing Rod

Elton

Posted on behalf of Roger. Please add all replies to this thread:

I would like to have a go at building my own rod , but i am having trouble finding a uk supplier for the relevant parts. i built my own rod some 30 odd years ago , and have had good use from it , it is also very satisfying to catch something with equipment that you have built yourself.

Can these materials still be sourced or am i chasing the unobtainable.

I would be grateful for any help .

Regards

Roger

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hopkins & Holloway should have everything required; some tackle shops still keep the basic stuff like rod rings and whipping thread but bored corks for handles are harder to get hold of in tackle shops now.

You don't say what type of rod.

For coarse rods give these guys a ring.

http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/contact.htm

For fly rods you would be better buying from the states.

Let me know as I have loads of contacts

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I've built hundreds and sold most of them, though that was all in the US.

From what I've gathered in the past and what I can see being here, rod building components are in very short supply, are expensive, and there is little selection. If you are doing just one rod then suck it up and use what you can get here. If you are planning to do more than one then source a bigger order from the US and take advantage of the exchange rate. You'll find much better selection surfing the US sites and even if you have to pay import and VAT it will still be cheaper than buying locally.

Rodbuilding.org will have a big list of sponsors that are all good to deal with. I always liked Angler's Workshop and Custom Tackle Supply for what I wanted though. There are a few brits on the forum so search around and see what you find.

The exception in terms of availability though is carp/coarse rods. In the US you'll not find a rod marked as a carp rod or a ledgering rod. They will be rated differently and the test curve rating over here doesn't apply over there. That said, you can find some really awesome blanks if you know what you are looking for.

thanks

rick