breeding maggots

coyle79

hi im thinking of breeding my own maggots and was wondering if anyone here has tried this and might have some tips and be able to tell me if it is worth the smell and grief from the wife lol

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see this thread from post #9 onwards

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/4913661-my-simple-way-with-casters/

It's cheaper than buying them, but as with most things timing is everything, you want them ready for the day out, not before

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Phone,

Don't worry, blame it on the transatlantic delay !

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

It's easy to make enough for yourself. It's just a manky job is all.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

for one person i doubt it would be worth the hassle to be honest.

It's a good project, but I have to agree, with the cost if maggots these days I don't think it's worth the agro.....

I even used a maggot vending machine last weekend...got a coke can full of mixed maggots and casters which easily lasted me the day for £1:50.

To my mind unless I was seriously thinking of throwing in pints and pints of maggots or had a serious 3-4 day session planned breeding your own is a "fun" project...nothing more

A friend's uncle used to turn up occasionally with his own maggots. On the odd occasion that he had enough for us to beg some, our catch rates improved dramatically.

He used the remains of filleted fish as feed for them. They were big, fat, super-lively and ponged bloody awful if you burst one! They sank much more slowly than a regular maggot, and perhaps this was their attraction.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

A friend's uncle used to turn up occasionally with his own maggots. On the odd occasion that he had enough for us to beg some, our catch rates improved dramatically.

He used the remains of filleted fish as feed for them. They were big, fat, super-lively and ponged bloody awful if you burst one! They sank much more slowly than a regular maggot, and perhaps this was their attraction.

a little fizzy drink(coke etc) in your maggot tub will give same effect :)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I agree Rob, the homemade maggots definitely caught more fish IMO but I think it was just the stench more than anything else.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...