Loose Ferrule

robtherake

I bought a minty fibreglass Sundridge carp rod ( 11ft,1 3/4lb test) from the boot sale for a couple of quid, intending to strip the (excellent) Fuji rings from it.

After getting it home and having had a play with it, I find that it's a surprisingly good rod - light and well balanced with a nice, progressive action - so I intend to make use of it.

The only fly in the ointment is a slight rattle from the joint when the rod is waggled. It's a spigotless overslide joint, and there are signs of wear to the male section on the mating surface.

Is it possible to build up the joint with the stuff pole anglers use, or is there another way? (BTW, I've tried candle wax, without improvement!).

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

You can build up the male end with Superglue and then take it back with sandpaper as required if it's too thick.

Wait for other replies but I'm led to believe this is an acceptable fix.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane
  • Like 1

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

You can build up the male end with Superglue and then take it back with sandpaper as required if it's too thick.

Wait for other replies but I'm led to believe this is an acceptable fix.

I have used araldite in the past. The long cure time stuff, not the rapid.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Rob,

Take a really close look at the female part for hairline fracturers. It's difficult for me to believe the resin is worn. In any event I would use epoxy resin (do you know a boat builder/repair guy?).

I probably wouldn't take any chances. I would whip and epoxy the exterioUr of the slip over piece too.

Phone

Rob

a quick fix would be to (carefully) hacksaw about an eighth of an inch off the female end.

I would assume the female end is already whipped and epoxied so you may have to do it again.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks for your suggestions, gents.

A very thorough inspection with a magnifying glass has all but ruled out a split or damage to the female side of the joint. The whipping is 100% intact, and I've looked as far up the inside of the blank as possible. If it's a split, it must be less than hair-fine.

So it looks like I don't need to do any surgery and I'll try super glue first, followed by epoxy if that doesn't work.

Phone,

The male ferrule is scratched in places back to the brown base colour (the rod is factory painted black) so I suspect that there has been gritty dirt in the joint at some point in its life and that the previous owner didn't know or care.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Phone,

Since it's a fibreglass rod - and a carp rod at that - the blank above the handle is as thick as my thumb!

The male ferrule was coated last night with a single coat of super glue, applied with the finger of a latex glove. Amazingly, it was all that was required and the rattle has gone altogether. How's that for the quickest and cheapest repair ever :thumbs:

Thanks, Andy, for the miracle cure, and thanks again to all who gave advice.

Rob, if its only a slight wobble whats worked for me in the past with glass fly rods is to rub the male part with a candle. It just adds enough to close the gap - and for a carp rod that isn't being cast every minute it should last for ages. An ordinary candle works fine - but you could try scented candles if you wan to add a little romance to your carp fishing :-)

M