carp rig-8-10lb mainline, what do I need?

colsmiff

:confused:

I am about to tackle one of my clubs waters which contains carp to mid-double figures, so I reckon 8-10lb mainline will be sufficient. What bs braid/hair-rig is compatible with this mainline.

As a beginner to this style of fishing (I normally "float") what is the simplest way to set up a safe rig, since this water is quite snaggy?

Any suggestions welcome!!!!

First of all you need to find out whether or not you can use braid.

Personally i would use a 10lb mainline with an 8lb fluorocarbon hook length, you can make a hair rig with this using a knotless knot rig (search the forum).

I would reccomend maggot feeder or straight lead with a PVA bag of freebies.

The simplist way to make a safe rig is to use a paperclip!

All you do is attatch the bomb or whatever weight you are using to the clip then attatch the clip to a swivel, then you can fish it like a normal weight but its safe, because if it gets snagged then the clip comes undone.

Easy.

OK, so I went out for a short session tonight. And short it was too! I had tackled up with 10lb line, through a semi-fixed bolt rig (fox clip) to a braided hair-rig of unknown strength with a size six hook(it was something I had picked up in a mixed bag of goodies), using luncheon meat over hemp and corn. Got a strike on my second cast after 40 minutes at the swim and promptly landed a 9 1/2 lb common! The only problem was my landing net fell apart and is now waiting for the binmen tomorrow.

So tonight was full of firsts:

christened my new carp rod :)

first use of a hair-rig :)

first use of a bolt rig :)

first carp in 6 years... :D

and another trip to the tackle shop needed before I can go out again

You know you don't have to use fancy rigs to catch carp, if you are an experienced float angler you might do better with them simply stepping up your float tackle a little and fishing the way you know best

Mat

- Hair rig /w a fairly short hair

- Weight of 2+ ounces

- Rig set up so that when the fish takes the bait and starts to swim off, the weight will stop it and the surprise is supposed to make the fish 'bolt' and hook itself.

The only tricky part is making sure the weight isn't put on so that a break off will leave the fish with a weight attached.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President