MEPP WEIGHTS

Hi , Folks , Do any of you know how heavy the mepps spinner range

goes up to in grams

I have been making mepp type spinners up to 30 gram ( they cast a mile )

It just a basic spinner with a size 5 blade , heavy body , 1 or 2 small bearing beads

It is Not a Large spinner bait , Just a spinner

I am having difficulty in finding out mepp weights online

Thanks again folks

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Just had a quick look at some (though I can't lay my hands easily on size 5's) Weights vary according to the precise model of Mepps in question, but for the Aglia, likely the most popular model, sizes and weights are as follows:

Size 00 is 1.5g, 0 is 2.5g, 1 is 3.5g, 2 is 4.5g, 3 is 6.5g and 4 is 9g ... all way lighter than the 30g version you are making :-)

Cann,

The largest Mepps I know of is the Giant Killer. It weighs about 1-3/4 oz to 2 oz (depending on the size and weight of the blade. I think that's about 50 g(?).

Phone

Weight for size will depend on the specific model. The Askari website has a good range and gives the weights in grams. Alternatively, go to the Mepps website and use an on-line conversion tool to convert from imperial to metric weights.

Of course, it's not just weight that detirmins how far a spinner will cast and how deep it will run. The size and style of the blade(s) and whether the hooks are dressed etc all have an influence.

Probably the heaviest and furthest casting spinners around are the so called flying condoms.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

'Mepps' is an acronym and a brand name, it stands for Manufacturier d'Engins de Precision pour Peche Sportives - in English, Precision Equipment for Sport Fishing. It's not a plural, so one Mepps spinner is still Mepps with an 's'. It's also not a generic name for that type of lure.

Sorry, rant over, and yes I'm a pedant!

It's also not a generic name for that type of lure.

I don't think anyone suggested that it was - although the term "Mepps type" gets banded about quite a bit to describe a classic French bladed spinner like the Agila.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Have any you guys Ever fished more than 1 mepp at a time

i think over the pond its called an Alabama rig

when you can fish a team of them to

replicate a shoal of bait fish

Perhaps Phone can enlighten us

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Cann,

The Alabama rig is the same as an umbrella rig sea fishermen use. They are the hottest thing since sliced bread in the US but someone (several someones) said they would not be legal in the UK. I have never seen Mepps spinners on an Alabama rig.

alarig.jpg

Phone