Fact or fiction

wotawoppa

Guest Ferret1959

"Toe the line" my understanding is this phrase comes from an old boxing rule where each boxer would put the tow of the left boot on a line drawn on the ground then start fighting anyone heard a different version.

I've also read claims that it may have sprung from the starting of a race, but the origin does seem to be from the sporting world, regardless.

: In one suggested origin the Line actually exists and is still found in the House of Commons. It was put there to mark the sword distance between Government and Opposition front benches. Members were told to toe the line if, in the eyes of the Speaker, they became too excited.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything on my ..

"Fly In The Ointment" or

"Strapped For Cash"

Got you stumped have I ?

(Now where did that come from ?)

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Not stumped here...unlike the English Cricket team!

When the highways were being built through North America (USA), the stumps of trees being sawn down could be no more than 15 inches. This was fine for the high axle wagons until rains softened the soil. When this happened, the wagon would sink into the mud and was 'stumped'.

I heard an interesting one today on the Radio about the origins of the word Dollar and its associated sign $. Seems it originated in Germany and was called a grubenshulerstaller (I made that name up as I cant remember the real one). But it ended in staller and was eventually corrupted into dollar and made its way to the americas via currency exchange and trading.

Strange but true.

Theres nowt so queer as folk!

This won't get the baby washed

Guest sslatter
wotawoppa:

When the highways were being built through North America (USA), the stumps of trees being sawn down could be no more than 15 inches. This was fine for the high axle wagons until rains softened the soil. When this happened, the wagon would sink into the mud and was 'stumped'.

ONO THATS RUBISH DOOD ITS FROM THE ANCEINT SAMURAI PRACTISE OF CHOPPIN OF THE LEGS OF NUAGHTY PEOPEL WHO HAD TO WALK ARUOND ON THERE STUMPS AND WHO THEN CUOLDNT GET SERVED AT THE SAKE BAR SO THEY WAS STUMPED FOR AN ANSEWER EVERYONE NOWS THAT YUOR THIK DOOD ONO HOW CAN I GET CURED NURSEJOODY I HOLED YUO PERSONALY RESPONSABLE ONO

YORALL REELY FIK!!!! EVRYWUN NOS THAT BEIN STRAPPED FOR CASH IS WOT YUNG BOYZ WIV NO GIRLFRENDZ DO FOR DODGIE OLD RICH DOODS TO ERN ENUFF MUNNY TO BY A COMPUTA SO THAY CAN GET ON ANGLASNET!!

ER...SO MI M8 TOLD ME ENNYWAY.

TERRY (THINKING NURSEY'S ALCOHOL CURE WOULD BE BETTER DEPLOYED AS A MASSAGE, RATHER THAN DRUNK)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

to Terry and Graham.I'm totally cured must admit had a headache this morning.Graham's case must be really severe if the whiskey cure failed ,are you paying attention new prescription.

1. pour whiskey or any alcohol get wife/partner to perform back rub with it.

2. if 1 failed buy wife/partner big bunch of flowers. guaranteed to cure all ails,

3.still infected ... abandon hope and go fishing...

I have self prescribed and am off in the morning for some R+R at centre parcs ... you could always come too,but we are not taking fishing gear...

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Not taking the fishing gear Judy...what ever will you do for relaxation. Ah I know if you are going to Nottingham Centre parcs take some bread and feed the carp on the big lake. That kept me amused for hours.

I also really enjoyed walking barefoot on the heated floor...ohhh exctasy!!!