Minor mono gumble!

Piperspruce

Why don't more line manufacturers state on their product if it sinks or floats!? Yes, I know its the most abrasion resistant, supple as silk line ever to grace God's green earth but does it sink or swim!?

Anyhow, I know that Maxima and Pro Gold sink, but are there any other decent quality sinking lines that you've come across in the 2 - 6lbs range? I had Maxima on my reels for a while but wondered if there's any better im missing out on.

Have you thought of switching to fourocarbon ?

It's thinner, more abrasion resistant and denser than nylon.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Sounds good, what's the catch!?

The original stuff was rubbish for knott strength but it seems that that's been sorted out now. Thre Stren stuff that I use for leader material is fine and comes in 100m spools.

It is more expensive than mono but then it doesn't degrade due to UV exposure like mono.

A few of the guys on here use fouro mainlines so I'm sure they'll be along it a bit.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Piper,

To answer your initial question. The manufacturers often don't know.

Really, there are three kinds of lines

Nylon Mono (called mono) : Fluorocarbon mono (called fluoro) and there are only two kind of super braid (called super braid) One is Dyneema and one called Spectra.

Generally mono floats in salt water and sinks neutral in fresh water.. Problem is when it is or has been warm it sinks faster. That usually indicates it needs changing and is absorbing water faster.

Generally fluoro sinks like a rock, In fact I don't know of a fluoro that doesn't sink.

Generally Super Braids float. Although they can be coated to sink slowly.

Phone

IMO - no science - You get what you pay for in fishing line. Use good brands that have a good reputation.

Edit: Since there are probably over a THOUSAND brands of line and maybe as many as 15 actual manufacturers the more gobbldy-gook they put on the label the fewer "complaints" they receive. Fluorocarbon - maybe 6 plants. In the case of "super braids" there are only two plants in the World. A Dutch Co (Dyneema) and Honeywell (Spectra).

The money spent on quality control inspection is the BIG difference you see in good brands.

Edited by Phone

Two words:

Daiwa sensor.

Depends....6lb and above, it's good gear but it's rubbish at 4lb. Used to be fine but it's a poor version of what it used to be.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Generally fluoro sinks like a rock, In fact I don't know of a fluoro that doesn't sink.

I wish that were true phone.

When dry-fly fishing, it's important to get the tippet under the surface, otherwise the line causes dimples as it distorts the surface. A dead give-away when the trout are suspicious.

Flurocarbon in small diameters sometimes doesn't have the weight to break through the surface tension.

Changing to a higher diameter might do the job, but the trout then see the line and it's reflection from the mirror of the water surface.

And when using small flies the fly itself can be dragged under.

Sometimes treating the line with a sinkant (such as leader sink) is the best solution.

(When coarse-fishing I use a pad soaked in detergent to sink the line)

Then (when fishing buzzers say) you sometimes want to slow down or stop the line sinking in which case a floatant applied to mono will do the job.

(Trouble is you need to renew the dressing every so often)

I haven't tried dressing my line with floatant when stick-float fishing, but it should work.

Then there's co-polymer lines ;)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon,

I agree, I didn't do a very good job for Piper. Line size, water temperature and a host of other factors influance the surface tension. Besides, flyfishing isn't fishing - it's fiddling.

Phone

I confess, little knowledge about co-polymers. Now, I guess, there are flouro coated monos. Berkley Big Game Inshore in 17lb and up absorbs water rather quickly increasing the stretch and increasing its rate of sink. That's the line I'm most familiar with.

Edited by Phone