Computer Back-up

Cranfield

Advice frequently given to people with computer problems is "back-up your programmes".

I assume this means saving programmes on a floppy disc or CD.

How do you "save" programmes ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

it depends on the windows version you are using ,in 98 you can use "backup" (its not installed by default) enable it by selecting it in the "add/remove windows components" on inserting the cd .

this program lets you select what you want to back up ,usually the registry ( i usually backup the whole of the windows folder :rolleyes: )

i use a seperate cd to store in safety any pictures ,songs and other unloseable stuff.

if you have a cd writer youl have no problem even better a rewriter.

in xp its in "programs" "accessories" "system tools" "file and settings transfer"

you can if you have a second harddrive backup to a folder on there :)

if your formatting the complete windows drive you will still have to install all the software you use (all of it) then run backup to put back all your settings etc

[ 28. November 2002, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Following the problems I mentioned on another thread we bought a CD rewriter a couple of days ago in anticipation of this.

We've also got a 2nd hard drive which will take almost all that's on the problem drive.

Thanks for the info, Chesters, that'll help no end, although I'll leave it to my brother-in-law to actually do.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

quote:

although I'll leave it to my brother-in-law to actually do.

thats the best way then he gets the blame and heartache :D

[ 28. November 2002, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

cranfield - I'd strongly suggest getting some sort of writable external media larger than the 1.38mb you can get on a floppy. Take forever to back up a significant amount and floppy disks are way too prone to failure for my taste.

If you only want to do backups, an external dat tape drive or similar. You can get them with tapes that will hold huge amounts per tape (up to over 40Gb) but you pay huge prices for those. Smaller and suited to a home system are lots more reasonable. Take a look Here for an excellent explanation and comparison of the major tape formats.

If you want to burn CDs for other reasons, an external CD writer would make sense. Smaller capacity for the CD (around 1Gb or so) but the media is cheap and you can do other types or copying.

Zip drive that writes to things that resemble oversize floppy disks is also an option. Around 100Mb per disk maximum though.

Another option assuming you have the normal PCMCIA (PC card) slots would be an external hard drive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

chesters1:

quote:

although I'll leave it to my brother-in-law to actually do.

thats the best way then he gets the blame and heartache :D

He loves it - makes him feel useful! :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Cranfield, you can get 250mb Zips and even a 750mb is available now, but the discs are pricey, VERY pricey compared to normal CD's

Best bet is an external writer/rewriter.

Just out of curiousity I ran through the backup on my XP and was told that I needed 27x 100mb cd's to store it all on, and HUNDREDS of floppies.

Having waited for the PC to assemble everything for transfer I decided to go ahead and use 4 or 5 650mb discs... guess what? when I clicked to transfer the pc kept telling me that my discs Were not acceptable, this despite using them for all my normal file/pics/video/sound storage and backup.

I bet I was probably only one or two clicks away from success, but I am terrified of upsetting my system, so I hit the cancel button........Phew, everything is still ok.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thanks for the replies Chaps. :)

I will go and buy a CD Rewriter, it will come in handy for my recordings of Bucks Fizz. :D

I have purchased a number of programmes from the Internet and downloaded them to the Computer,ie. Norton AntiVirus 2003.

Can I COPY these to a CD ?

Where do I find my "back-up", as mentioned by Poledark ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Look for Norton Ghost 2003, backup entire disc to another drive or CDR's.

http://www.hot.ee/alekseyf/muz/ghost2003dos.zip

[ 29. November 2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!