And then the sun came out........

Excalibur

quote:

Good advice again folks, but may need some very good cable for some of the hedges I have to do! Power loss at seven hundred yards could be noticeable. Chesters, if you think the customer is going to watch me dig an acre of land by hand for his lawn, and charge him by the hour, you are on something illegal.

two points get a 110v or 240v trimmer and hire a generator ,few proffesional hedge cutters are petrol as most dont work in the summer heat in long usage.

i made in the time i worked as a fulltime gardener made 14 acres of lawn ,i tried a deisel rotavator (20hp) it was useless ,they are allright for "tilling" a little veg patch . also whats the point of fluffing all the soil up then having to compact it again :confused: the easiest way is to remove anything above ground (rocks trees etc) poison all living material then get screened topsoil in and do it properly ,dont use a roller they are useless the make the lumps harder and cannot get into the hollows ,a rake and a gardeners shuffle is all thats needed ,for seeding do a little patch att a time sow the seed at 3 times the rate THEN seive soil on top ,it stops the seed blowing away ,it stops it washing away and it germinates quicker

i haven got a before picture for these pics but the lawn was neglected from before the war ,it was covered in rhodies to the height of the walls ,a chainsaw and a landrover winch ,and hand tools were the only things used :D

Image1.jpg

11 lorry loads of topsoil and ofcourse blood sweat and tears

:D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Excalibur:

Good advice again folks, but may need some very good cable

A little safety tip, if you use an extention cable from a drum, roll ALL the cable out. If you just roll out a couple of feet the cable on the inside of the drum can generate enough heat to start a fire. It is law to do this in petrochem plants

Good luck and I hope the weather is kind to you or you have a very big party tent :D

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan: Been there, done that! Really shortened a long extension cable. Only did it once.

Chesters: Fine fella that you are, I think that here we will have to agree to differ. Just finished cutting another hedge, but went a bit fast! Finished my day's work at two in the afternoon.Other problem is my arms are starting to look like that nice man with the muscles from Gaffer's post ! :D:D:D