cookies

chesters1

just had a cookie alert ,why would www.boston.com

and one called "navynews" try to put cookies on my machine whilst on AN :confused:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

nursejudy - as related to internet web sites, a cookie is a little very specialized text file that is placed on your PC by the site or by another site.

1st party (from the site itself) are usually information stores that eliminate the need for you to keep entering the same information at each visit. Here, for instance, you can login and elect to have the forum remember you so no need to login at next visit. Your login information is then placed in a cookie and stored on your PC for the site to read at your next visit.

3rd party (the sort that chesters1 is speaking of) are also informational for the placing site to use. Usually advertising bits of some sort. Many are by the site owner's permission and produce a little money for the site owner. Others are sneaks. Either sort can be blocked by software without harming your browsing on the site. Internet Explorer has specific options to accept/ask about/reject cookies and you can set to have it treat 1st party differently than 3rd party (which is the way mine is).

Other sorts are part of "sypware" or "malware" or "adware" that is placed on your PC to send detailed information about you back to their owner. To deal with them you need to be using a spyware removal program. Ad-aware is good and it is free. Likewise SpyBot Search & Destroy. I use both since they find things the other one misses. Then a simple button click to remove any or all spyware that is found.

You can see a typical 1st party cookie if you locate Cookie:vailn@anglersnet.co.uk/ (except yours will have your username rather than vailn which is me). Mine looks like the following except it has my forum password where I have put in xxxxx:

Cookie:vailn@anglersnet.co.uk

login2452322.165

12-04-2002%2010%3A02%20PM&2452613.2202

anglersnet.co.uk/

ubber2452322.165

Newt&xxxxxxxx&Newt&2&00000468&0&0

anglersnet.co.uk/

PnTf_2452322.165

ewzlnAOoIsordMdn&63.80.251.76&17317311&00000468&0&0

anglersnet.co.uk/

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nursejudy:- Never be caught with your hand in an empty cookie jar.

If you don't like the cookies in the jar, bake lots of fresh ones to your own, favourite recipe.

Remember, cookies are o.k. but 5 portions a day of anything you can grow and pull out of the earth, pick from a tree, eat raw without asking forgiveness from your deity of choice, or, munch on casually in the privacy of your meditation zone, is much better for you than worrying about cookies you can't even taste.

Gingerbread men.....which bit d'you eat first? :rolleyes:

Help me unhook these, please.

as for gingerbread men its feet i go for first, :P no idea why ..probably someone will enlighten me. :confused:

thanks newt for the cookie info have sorted mine out i think now. :D

have been baking as well to-day so cookie jar is very fulll.little onions i always try to have five portions a day. :D:D nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)