A wet landing net at last

Rusty

I was beginning to wonder if I should bother taking a landing net with me, so far this season almost all of my catches have been swung to hand easily. Tonight though a couple of hours spent freelining floating bread finally put a good bend in the rod…the bamboo rod at that...and it’s still straight after the trauma.

9lb 2oz

DSCN1090_zps27844bf9.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well done Chris, on traditional gear too. :clap:

NB. Is that a B.James & son MkIV Avon? Looks in a lot better condition than my MkIV Carp rod.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I’m not updating the blog any more Ian. There’s only so much spin you can put on catching tiddlers, it was becoming repetitive and to be honest a bit of a chore to write. My interest in angling has waned a bit, I can’t remember when I last planned a full day out on a club water, what I tend to do now is fish short sessions when I feel like it.

Epic adventures will still be written up though.

I’m not updating the blog any more Ian. There’s only so much spin you can put on catching tiddlers, it was becoming repetitive and to be honest a bit of a chore to write. My interest in angling has waned a bit, I can’t remember when I last planned a full day out on a club water, what I tend to do now is fish short sessions when I feel like it.

Epic adventures will still be written up though.

Yeah I understand about it becoming a chore. That's why I don't bother with a blog and only post about some of my days out.

Well done Chris, on traditional gear too. :clap:

NB. Is that a B.James & son MkIV Avon? Looks in better condition than my MkIV Carp rod.

Keith

Thanks Keith

The rod is a Paul Cook MkIV Avon, 1lb test curve. I bought it to try something different and so far I’m very impressed with it. The action is a bit wierd though, very ‘through’ but not progressive at all, as soon as you catch something decent the tip gives up the ghost and lets the butt section do all the work. There’s immense strength in the butt, I’m sure it could deal with much bigger fish than I caught tonight, you just need to trust it.

I’ve tried using it for trotting a float but it’s not very good at picking up line or striking, it's too slow.

Rusty - nice fish on a classic setup - cane MkIV, Mitchell 300 and Maxima if my powers of observation are still OK! Not a huge amount of experience with cane coarse rods, but my experience with fly rods is pretty much the same as you described, especially where the fish is a tad heavier/stronger than the rod is perhaps comfortable with - everything happens very close to your hands.

Like you I now tend to fish evening short sessions and derive a lot of pleasure from it - maybe its my age!

M