Spinning for Perch

chenz116

Rod and reel is ideal for perch but would recommend 10-15 lb braid and a wire trace if about 12 inches as canals can contain pike and you may get bitten off if you catch a jack without one 3 lb is too light a line for spinning

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

What weight lures are you casting with the 20lb braid? I have gone down to 8-10lb to get a much improved casting distance but maybe it doesn't affect it as much as I think it does.

Probably larger ones than you, I think. Soft plastics, small plugs, small spoons, medium sized blade spinners. It's a more general outfit rather than a real lightweight one, so perch, chub, small pike, pollock, coalfish, bass, mackerel, etc. puts out a Dexter Wedge like a bullet! :)

Length of rod is something that's often discussed here. Many advocate short rods, but I often wonder whether this is because long lure rods are hard to find. Indeed, I often wonder wherther some have even used such a rod.

Long rods have several advantages. Firstly, you can stand further back from the edge and so you're less likely to spook the fish. Secondly, it makes it easier to reach over marginal vegetation, and especially to cast parallel to bankside reeds etc where fish often hide out. Thirdly, all things being equal, you can cast further with a long rod. This is especially so with a rod that has a long enough handle to use both hands.

But long rods also have disadvantages. Firstly, they're harder to poke through bankside vegetation such as trees. Secondly, they don't cast so accurately. Thirdly, they're heavier.

However, don't make the mistake of thinking that short rods are always less tiring to use. I have a muscle condition that means that on some days I've been unable to pick up a rod, let alone fish with it. I actually find a longer rod less tiring to use as I don't have to put so much force into a cast.

If your canal isn't very wide (and few are) then a shortish rod would do very well. It would also be preferable for boat fishing, where again long casting is rarely needed.

Like others, I'd definitely advocate braid. You know far more about what's going on with braid, and in particular little knocks are much easier to spot. Braid costs more than mono but lasts very much longer. Once you've tried braid for lure fishing I doubt that you'll ever change back.

As for traces I'd very much recommend 49 strand wire. It's extremely flexible and kinkproof. Indeed, I used to demonstrate this by screwing it up in my hand, shaking it and the kinks just fall out! Whilst it's more expensive per metre it works out cheaper in the long run as it just lasts and lasts.

I also agree with Ken about the clips. I too use Duolocks and the little fly fishing clips.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

All,

Back from coffee. I cannot defend flourocarbon or monofilament against braid. I am not an experienced lure fisherman, especially since the advent of braid. I can only tell you there are very few professional lure fishermen using braid. Of course among the 20 or so rods they carry they all have rods prepared for fishing braid but the only time you see these guys pick it up is for top water lures where there will be no "slack" between the lure and the rod tip. You can break braid by "popping" it tight on the hookset (like a bullwhip). Most of the above is from my coffee clutch and the telly, not from fishing.

Line to lure is a science all by itself. Depending on depth, recovery speed, sinking rate and a host of other pramameters, professionals will use between 6 and 25 pound line on the SAME lure. For example, to the fisherman - these guys add a 15-inch section of 20-pound American Fishing Wire Micro Supreme to connect to faster swimbaits. They use flourocarbon leaders for slow retrieve and topwater. Reasoning (from coffee) is that pike hit most baits from the side then take the lure. When baits are faster swimbaits pike often hit in front of the lure. Slow or stationary baits are slammed at the lure. All agree, leader failure is almost non-existent.

Coffee guys say leaders are "justified" by swearing they notice NO difference (side by side in the same boat) when using these wire leaders in terms of number and size of fish caught on swimbaits and spinners.

I typed on and on. Did I get anywhere close to the topic subject?

Phone