MASSIVE roach ... 5lb 9oz!

philocalist

It looks like an ide to me too, in immaculate condition.

This 5lb+ German roach was posted on here a while back...

http://www.fischundfang.de/Service/Aktuelle-Meldungen/Traum-Rotauge-aus-dem-Neckar

The picture on that link would appear to make it easy, even at a glance, to see the apparent difference in scale count ... it would be nice to be able to believe they were both roach, but regardless of species, it's a fish I'd be happy to catch, and a very bonny fish at that.

I always thought that Ide had darker (almost black) caudal fins? The German one looks ok to me as well but I'm no good with lateral line counts. I've been meaning to have a trip back down to Mequinenza (just for old times sake) for some time. Catting has been done and dusted for me a long, long time ago but I certainly fancy theses roach (or what ever!) In fact myself and Rob only discussed it a few years back. YES it would be nice if they were true roach but as others have said if not still worth catching. If I put a trip together (a distinct possibility now my health is rapidly improving) I will let all know on here and your more than welcome to tag along.....but be warned I like to drive down.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ok roach experts, what is this?

attachicon.gif13791859486400.jpg

That's a fish that has blue badges on its fins and thinks it can park wherever it wants. May be Roach x Rudd hybrid (my guess looking at it), might be true Roach, but it's "special" whatever it is. Looks to have a mild developmental abnormality resulting in a foreshortened appearance. Was it caught in Yorkshire?