3 years on and no tench

thuramario

You can either try and find a clear patch (there are a few honestly), rake a swim to clear the weed or fish into the weed.

To fish into the weed either setup your float rig so the bait sits on top of the weed or leger with a long tail to the bomb or feeder. Don't be scared to fish into weed, Tench love the stuff and feed happily right in the middle of it. I've seen them browsing on the top of the weedbeds on warm evenings in the flash.

The Tench in the Flash (in fact the fish in general) run a bit bigger and there's a lot more snags so you may need heavier tackle. There's also some clonking Rudd in there and if you go on a warm evening they're not too hard to find, look for them dimpling the surface - you'll catch them up in the water!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had a tench on today, but couldnt bring it in, 18 spade hook, piece of corn, with a hemp groundbait. it took me 5m to the left in a second then just hugged the bottom, it felt big. i dont thing it was an eel cos it stoped dead on the bottom for a few seconds, i thing eels just go mental. would anyone agree?

• 3 weeks later...

i went to a patch were tench have been caught today (i was their the other day and had 3 tench on but the rig i used was old and i dont think the hooks were sharp enough as i kept slipping straight out of the mouth/possibly not striking as hard as i should for a bigger fish), i fished from 5pm till dark. my swim was full of big fish, so much so that on two occasion a massive fish jumped out of the water just inches from my float (i **** myself). i have never seen so much action on this pond, but only got one slight bite about an hour into my fish. it was quick and cagy, i decided it wasnt enough to strike and that it would surely be back in a bit. that was my lot. to make matters worse 4 men, all bladdered and stuff set up about 50yrds away from me at 8pm. they were makin loads of noise and in half an hour they had 2 5lb plus tench. i packed up and went home just after asking them how they had done it (the only difference was hook size. he was on a 10 with 3-4 peices of corn, i was on 14 with one peice on it. am going back on sunday with that approach, if i dont get one i am calling it a day, i dont think i can cope with the dissapointment again lol).

just thought i would let ya all know seen as you have helped me get this far at least.

I agree with the above, but just a couple of points, make sure your hooks are sharp and that your bait is not masking the point of the hook, then you will be ready next time. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Unlucky, but it sounds like you're getting closer - keep trying :) It sounds like you're just having a little run of bad luck (and we've all been there, believe me). The blokes who turned up - and yes, that must have been annoying! - probably just happened to be in the right spot, that's all. If the conditions are similar next time you go, fish where they were fishing if you can.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Unlucky, but it sounds like you're getting closer - keep trying :) It sounds like you're just having a little run of bad luck (and we've all been there, believe me). The blokes who turned up - and yes, that must have been annoying! - probably just happened to be in the right spot, that's all. If the conditions are similar next time you go, fish where they were fishing if you can.

cheers for the support guys lol