Rod reel combo

Old Bob

Hi all,

As a Carp man moving into sea fishing I was wondering what the best rod reel combination would be for beach casting. I would be happy to pay say £200 for the right combination.

Next question, bite detection, do tripods have the abilty to put electronic bite detectors on - I have a set of four which I use for Carp and Pike fishing.

Hi OB ...

Difficult one this. Rods are like women and horses .. you have to find one that suits you !

As to reels .. If you are used to an open face type in your course fishing, then this is probably the way to go. Learning to use a multiplier can be frustrating.

I would imagine that your bite detectors would be far too sensetive, and delicate, for beach fishing. Probably even the action of the waves on your line would trigger them off. Bites are usually registered by a sharp "nod" of the rod tip, or, if you've latched into a big un, your rod disappearing into the water !!!

If you can have a try of a mates rod/reel combos then this would be the place to start. Buy the best you can afford .. you get what you pay for ! Or consider picking up some second-hand quality gear.

Good fishing !

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Bob what kind of outfit do you want, F/S or multiplier?

What kind of fishing are you intending to do?(clean or rough ground)

How seriously do you intend taking sea fishing?

Obviously if you are only looking to spend the odd few hours a month fishing and don't intend going totally overboard and becoming a' sea fanatic'then you would be advised to set a strict budget and stick to it.I would advise looking at the magazines to see what is available in your price range, then ask for advice on here or the Total Sea Fishing forum.

The problem is what might be good for me might not suit you. Personally I would recommend a good quality fixed spool reel (Shimano Aerlex, Penn Surfmaster 70, Daiwa Emblem)and a good rod about £100 will see you right. Abu, Penn or Daiwa do good rods in this price range. If you go into the second hand market you might get an even better quality rod (Century). Whichever way you go for £200 you will get a decent start to sea fishing. Good luck and enjoy it

yep, agree with the Aerlex (£60 if you shop around) and if you're serious for £140 go for the daiwa supercast 13 ft. everso light and so easy cast.

under £100 go for a Shakepseare, best value rods.

for rough ground go for the Shakespear Neptune or Atlantis.

as for the century', zipplex etc, there arn't too many fixed spool versions around.

Thinlips are imminent :-) Believe or not !!

Thanks guys,

You have posted a few questions and I will try to answer.

I will soon be a widower (something I have now come to terms with) and I will have to sell up the current house. It was to raise the familiy who have now flown the nest and for one an acre of land is just too much for one. By the way I am 53 so I hope I have some years of fishing left.

I love fishing of all kinds and will continue with freshwater as well as doing sea fishing. I was born and raised by the sea (near Great Yarmouth) so it is in my blood although I have not sailed in the last 25 years due to work and raising a family. My intention is to move close to the sea but also close to freshwater haunts and Norfolk or Lincolnshire look good for that. This means a lot of beachcasting although I will get a small inshore boat as well. I am also quite happy travelling any distance for reasonable fishing.

My carp gear is Shimano rods and reels I have baitrunners and a couple of big pit long cast models which allow very long casts. I believe strongly in paying for good rods and reels as in my experience performance is definately related to price. I am not afraid of overnights and even weeks in my bivvy so I will do that on the coast as well.

Old Bob:

Hi all,

As a Carp man moving into sea fishing

I know nothing about modern day beach tackle but please don't go anywhere near the sea with your alarms, sell em and use the money for terminal tackle.

Keep one of your Carp rods and Reels for light spinning/float fishing for garfish/bass/rock float fishing etc. The salt water will get to it in the end (several years)but as long as you get into the routine of washing your rod and reel in warm fresh water after each session you should make em last 8 years or so, mine have.

I would take a look at your local press to see where/when there is a beach comp on and go down to take a look at peoples fishing tackle and TALK TO THEM. They will be using tackle that is suitable to your area.

If you have a Sea Angling Club in your area and they are a HAPPY bunch it could be worth joining, shared knowledge and transport save a load of cash.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your sea fishing as you did from your Carp fishing.

Tight lines and let us know how you get on and what you decide on :cool:

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Firstly, I am so sorry that you are soon to be a widower, However, you seem to be taking a positive attitude towards it and that will help in the future. My thoughts are with you especially at this time of year.

Secondly, GET RID of the name OLD BOB 53 is not bloody old!!!!!!! :D

Last but not least, if you ever fancy a few days on the Fylde coast, and belive me we have thousands of hotels, let me know and we can sort out a few days beach fishing (cannot guarentee fish though) :D

I agree with Ian 100%. I am 60 and, translated, my name means 'little brother'. by the way you can always e-mail me as I understand, My missus is blind and has multiple sclerosis stage3. :)

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Old Bob:

I will soon be a widower (something I have now come to terms with)

Sorry to hear that Bob it must be one hell of a bad time for you. Stuck for words here :(

As Ian said, dump the OLD bit, I am 55 1/2 :D and even though people on the boats that I have worked on ask "where is the old Englishman" I don't feel old when I am fishing.

Any time you fancy a break in Holland for a bit of wrecking just let me know and I will see what I can set up depending on the weather.

My best wishes.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/