Any perch?

Kappa

As this time of year is officially the best time of year for perch all over the country ..... I'm surprised by the lack of perch topics!

Anyway I nipped out for what was supposed to be a quick recce. Well it turned into a real red letter day of a big perch near every cast in a manic 1.5 hour spell. I always find the first specimen of the season of any species look huge, well these perch looked huge! The scales gave a more accurate measure of the perch but I was still very pleased with the high average size.

So has anyone else been catching any good perch?

Here is a pic of the last on of the day to get those juices flowing, apologies for the quality:

post-560-0-18785100-1384120519_thumb.jpg

Rich

Edited by Kappa

Not here sadly, I did try a 'banker' swim with lobs on the canal yesterday but no perch and no crayfish either. How big was the fish in the pic? Looks to be 3lb plus judging by the hefty avon scales.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thames fish Rich or one from the lake?? cracker either way need to make time for a perch hunt

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Hey gents,

It's a lake perch. I'm not sure of the size of this one, I didn't weight it. It was probably a big 2 or 3.

Rich

Rich the other lake on my ticket is coloured plenty of carp with silvers to and big Stripeys to 4lb 6oz so would the prawn thing be worth a go or would the carp be a nightmare?? Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

It's a lake perch. I'm not sure of the size of this one, I didn't weight it. It was probably a big 2 or 3.

Never mind the weight, it is a hefty deep-bodied perch that anyone would be pleased with.

Nice one, Kappa

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well done, Rich!!

BTW, you mentioned autumn being the best time for perch. I'd agree it's a good time, but I find early spring even better. There's less natural food then plus the perch are feeding up in preparation for spawning.

Here's to an excellent perch season. I may even get time to do more than the odd day perching myself this year. But I've said that each of the last 4 years..........

• Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Dear "Steves" and Matt,

Prawns are a very selective bait at times. Myself and Andrew has no carp last winter on them, only perch and the odd chub. The trick is to wait until the water is cold and use large prawns:

post-560-0-39230000-1384193054_thumb.jpg

I caught loads of carp in the summer on small prawns but none yesterday, now it's colder! If you want to host me I'd love to assist in finding the perch near you!

Steve I'm only being silly RE a perch season, however I do count from now until April my unofficial perch season.

Rich