"how to network these blasted things"

Colin Brett

As suggested by Newt!

How do you network computers either with or without a network card.

I am running windows 2000pro on 2 computers.

One has SP4 loaded via the net while the second has no modem so I have not loaded SP4 and all the latest updates. Probably not a security risk as it's not connected to the web, but you never know??

Also if I wanted to burn SP4 onto cd what do I need to find?

Hope this all makes sense?

Colin

Colin - several ways to do the deed depending on exactly what you want.

Slow but reliable and cheap is to use a serial-serial port (your com ports) connection (slowest and cheapest) or a parallel-parellell (printer port) and set up DCC (direct cable connection) on the PCs.

You will need cables wired especially for the purpose - called Null Modem cables but any PC shop should be able to fix you up. Cable details

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;142324

After that, the W2K wizard is good at setting up the connections for you with both machines running the same OS.

Faster and with more options would be to purchase a NIC (network card) for both PCs and use a 'crossover' network cable. Specifics will depend on if you want both PCs to be able to use an internet connection via dial-up or broadband modem or just to have them talk to each other. You can get decent NICs for about £10 or less each and a crossover network cable of 10 feet should run another £5 or less.

Also if I wanted to burn SP4 onto cd what do I need to find?

A copy of SP4 and a CD burner.

[ 10. December 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You could even use a USB to USB connection, this is a bit than quicker serial-serial port. :(

The best way is to install an NIC card into both pc's or use the onboard NIC (as some motherboards have this option) and use a crossover cable of what ever length you require.As you didnt say how you connect to the internet there is also a way to network like this, get yourself a router either broadband or dialup and link your pc's via this using the 2 NIC's and normal patch leads ;)IIRC win 2000 has a network wizard you could use that to set everything up once you are all connected up (whichever option you go for)

[ 10. December 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Jem ]

Jem - certainly usb-usb will work in theory.

In practice, it sometimes works perfectly and sometimes is a total nightmare and that's the reason I rarely mention it and never recommend it.

I'll do most anything else via USB and happily but networking - I agree that standard ethernet network cards are by far the best option.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What do you think the best way to connect my desktop with my laptop would be?

I am running XP on both comps and have broadband internet which iwould like the laptop to use too

Could i somehow have a wire from the router to the laptop via an USB Ethernet card or a PMCIA Card (sorry forgot the full name of the slot)

Suggestions?

Lee Wood

My anglersnet gold award winning website:www.fishyworld.co.uk

PCMCIA network card would be my suggestion.

Once it's set up, plugging your laptop into the router/switch should do it. Most of them designed for home/small office use run DHCP which will set the values on the network card to allow you internet access - and access from one PC to the other as well if you want.

To connect the PCs you will need to do a couple of extra things though so if you want that, post back.

I went to the shops here in Denmark today.

I saw a PCMIA card (Wired) for about £20 and a PCI card for the desktop for a little less.

Would that obviously with the cables be enough?

Could i connect those two and i could access both comps and internet via the laptop aswell?

Lee Wood

My anglersnet gold award winning website:www.fishyworld.co.uk

lee - with network cards in both machines (and the ones you mentioned are fine) you can certainly hook the two machines together so they can share files, printers, modem (dial-up or broadband) for internet access.

A How-To is Here with another that explains the same but with slightly different attention to detail so may clear up any confusion from the first article Here.

The 2K directions should apply fine to XP.

If they left out any bits or put in parts that don't make sense, say what and I'll give it a try. Otherwise I'll take the lazy route and let the pre-done articles save me some typing. :)