Another Computer problem

Andrew Burgess

Does anyone one the anglersnet know how to deal a programme error on RUNDLL. irpops.cpi? :(:( it came with a new computer with widows XP Home Editons and every 10 mins it automactic shut it down. :(:(

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

My friend had same problem last weekend, got a bran new Sony Laptop - and when trying to connect to the web after a few mins the whole computer would shut down.

She called her I.S.P and they told her what to do.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Step #1 - RAV to scan for and remove the virus I strongly suspect you have.

Step #2 - say if you have a normal XP install CD or one of those 'recovery CD' obscenities that ship with lots of computers.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It may not be a vitus as such, but I used to get rundll errors all the time until I installed Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I think your internal security settings are dealing with an attempted hi-jack in rather a crude way by shutting your system down. I think you have acquired some kind of automatic mailing program that should be easily dealt with by Spybot.

[ 17. January 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

How can it be a virus get into the new computer is was not connected to the internet at the time?? :(:( surley the disc was not loaded with a virus?? It came up when down loading a game which got all the minmium requirement systems..At the moment and I am still working on the old computer which still playing up but managed all right for now. It the new one I am concerned about.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I can't be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if many commercially produced games now come complete with their own spyware. Many of them have advertising links and other internet connected gimmicks, so it is quite possible. I do know that downloading games from the internet is the easiest way to get your computer well and truly messed up.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

On my pals computer, after some telephone calls to where she got the laptop from - it was found out that the laptop had been purchased by someone, and then returned to the store the same day.

Thats how the virus got onto her "new" computer.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

the word "new" is very strange ,any "new" pc (or most things) has at least 2 owners the shop where you buy it and the assembler who sells it to the shop :confused:

another amusing thing is heard at car boots ,"its brand new" or "i only used it once" or "its really/very good" if so why sell it :confused:

regarding p.c`s often i hear "it cost £1,800 ((or whatever)) just 4 years ago) then demand a huge sum for it :D it matters not what anything cost ,the value is in what you can get for it :)

people are seen buying Amstrad "pc`s" for silly money they were obselete before they were new

[ 20. January 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

the shutting down problem may lie with the settings ,if a lap top it may be battery saving (changed in the bios or windows power settings (under screensaver) the same can apply to a pc)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson