Computer Questions

Andrew Burgess

I was talking to a friend of mine who is interested in computer programming. We came upon a subject on the Internet Connecting Wizard. The last time I did this was some months ago and I messed up the password,username and the accounts(made 5 accounts and only 1 worked).

But managed to sort it out in the end!

Now my questions is 1 Is there any way I can transfer my existing internet password,account and username to another computer without going through the internet connecting wizard. For example, I am working on Windows 98SE and will be going on Windows XP Home Edition. If so, how do I do this? I have heard you could do this under the Files And Setting Transfer Wizard. Is this true or not?

Any help will be appreciated

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if what you want can be done, but if you want to make a new connection in XP its very simple, just go to the start menu, connect to, show all connections, create a new connection. should take about 45 seconds!

When you say I have to make a new connection is it means that I have to buy a special lead to fix on the old computer to the new one? If so what lead should I buy and how many pins in the socket?

no, what i just told you is how to configure a new internet connection an a machine that runs xp. the only lead you'll need to connect to the net is a standard modem lead.

all you need is the account (or user name) password and the phone number of the ISP.

Yes, I see what you means now. :) Right my internet is on the Blueyonder network

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: but I have to install the programme to get the account,password and username.

What I am trying to say is there anyway to TRANSFER the whole exsiting systems (i.e. Outlook express icons and internet explorer which set up atuomatically)(I know the new computer got the internet (Outlook Express and the Internet Explorer are on all standard equipment nowdays) :) so I wouldn't have to go through the setting up(Installing) the Blueyonder on the new computer because the last time I did this the Blueyonder instruction are not clear as the same for the Mircosoft Internet Connectionction Wizards. :confused:

Files And Setting Transfer Wizard should do the job for you just fine. If you aren't running the latest IE/OE version now, I'd suggest updating on your old system before running the transfer wizard though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ok, On my old computer I am running on Windows 98SE Where my exsiting internet connection and I do wish not to set it up again because I mess the password, username and the accountand my new computer is running under the Windows XP Home Editions, If this could help,But I am not sure what to do next.

You will need some way to do the file/settings transfer from old to new PC. There are several options depending on how you are set up.

Easiest if you are comfortable with it would be to remove the hard drive from the old system and place it in the new system to do the transfer. There will be an extra power plug and data plug to allow hooking up the additional hard drive. You will just need to set the jumpers so your XP hard drive is Master and the old drive is Slave.

If you don't want to do that, post back and say if you have network cards in both PCs or if you want to add them. If you do, you can use both PCs on the internet after the transfer is done by setting up ICS (internet connection sharing).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I like your idea of removing the hard drive but my new comuter is under the warranty for a three year period and if any go wrong and I can't afford to this.

Network Card? I am not sure what you are talking about there but will listen to see what it all about. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The internet sharing I would like to do but I got one phone line for the whole house. Talking on this subject if I get another phone line and do this tranfer by the Internet Connection Sharing and in the end I want to get rid of the old computer(It is going towards my older brother) will my new computer will have the same password,username and accountfrom the old computer in my new one? :):)

I don't know if this is true, I was talking to a friend at work and he suggusting to buy a lead which connect one computer to another computer and you can do this, but I am not sure either. What to you think? :confused:

One phone line is plenty. ICS is a utility that allows the two PCs to share the modem and internet connection.

Network Cards - if you have a plug in the back that looks like a really large phone plug, you probably have a network card. If not, they should cost you about $10-$15 each. Install them and use a 'crossover' network cable to connect the two PCs. they can share files, a printer, the internet very easily.

If you ever are able to move to broadband, the same cards will connect you to the broadband modem.