Computer Questions

Andrew Burgess

Today my friend came up with a cable and a PCI netcard. :) Great, I thought so I can get going tonight but I hit a snag. If I remove my existing connecting point which connects the internet online how can I connect the Cat5e cable over from my old computer to the new one.

There must be a PC netcard which accepts the main phone line socket and the ethernet socket for the cable to transfer the data over to the new computer. :o

Steve if you read my post again I won't go through my IPS because I only have one phone line for the whole house so I need to connect the computer, so I can't talk to my local IPS at the same time. If I do talk to the main IPS which you say it would be possible to do it in a minute, well mine will take 20mins charged at £2 per a min which work out £40. So there is a big difference in the price. My server is the Blueyonder they sent me a disc to create the internet account - outlook express - and the internet explorer which I managed all right but started having problems in the Outlook Express. Messages kept coming up on the screen that the main outserver was having problems and it would not send or receive any emails. So I was in a sort of panic a bit and ended with 6 emails account and only 1 worked. Just recently I have brought a new computer I do not want to go through all that hassle agai.

When I bought my new computer it was faulty because someone at the firm where they built the computer HAS put a different password to get online onto the internet so I can't go online. (so I am presently using the old computer to go online). There must be a way to TRANFER my existing password,username,and account to the new one.

When I asked anyone to help me out, it was Newt who wanted to help me so I accepted his offer. Now the best things is I can't do it now because as I mention as above. I need a PC netcard which has both sockets to work with like my new one. So I can connect the modem/phone line and the ethernet socket (in my old computer) to send the necessary data to the new computer so I don't go through the hassle again.

I don't want to remove my hard drive from the old computer to the new one because it looks too complicated to do. I can only hope that when the supplier of my new computer has sorted out the faults that I was experiencing, including the phantom password!, I will be more successful in putting my own details in.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Burgess:

There must be a way to TRANFER my existing password,username,and account to the new one.

unless i'm missing something you're making this very complicated for yourself, all you have to do is what i talked you through in my first post, entering the relevant details as you go, it really isnt difficult, and as (no offence) you seem quite confused about what to do, maybe its best to keep it simple.

I agree with simple. But the rest is confusing me too.

Modem for dial-up internet plugs into a telephone line.

Network card uses a totally different cable and can happily run inside the same PC as the modem card. Just needs a different slot. The cat5 cable goes from network card in 98 PC to network card in XP PC. Phone line goes to modem.

Click Here and read through their excellent and detailed tutorials on networking.

[ 21. January 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers Newt and Jeepster, Once again thank you. Oh dear this is not going to be easy to explain.

But will try my best. :confused:

When open the side casing, inside where the motherboard, just off the left bottom side there are two slot which measure 80mm x 10mm x 1mm which a slot for a network card for the Phone Line/modem line to connect to the internet. Ok with that?

On the on the other slot there is a 14 pins connecter which is connect to the computer screen /moniter screen. Ok with that?

So in my case I do not have any more 80mm x 10mm x 1mm slot to put in the network card by the motherboard. So where can I put it?

Forgive me being a bit bold jeepster what do you mean a new connection in the XP can you give me any idea what you are talking about.

Belive me I am not trying to waste your time as I do really need it. As you can see I do not know anything about computer despite looking in the website to see if I could explain it a bit more better to you

Okay Andrew, I can understand that you are ever so slightly perplexed with this problem...but it is easy...

Your ISP should have the details you need..ie your username and password and should be able to talk you through it..then you hang the phone up having made the notes with pen and paper, and enter them in the boxes of the wizard...

Believe me when I say you really are going the long way round to get a net connection going on a new pc.

The only place you can really go wrong is in entering the details in the boxes as they tend to be case sensitive..ie ANDREW Andrew andrew are all different..

Connecting to your mail server is much the same in that it is case sensitve again...and there are a few details your isp can give you to set this up.

It will be cheaper to ask your ISP at £2 a minute for the details, than buying and configuring network cards and the steps are so much simpler to do than you think...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Andrew, contact me as I bought a cable when I changed my PC and used the settings wizard. It actually has 4 plugs on one cable so it covers a multitude of sins. If you message me with your telephone number I'll give you a call.

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

To make it easy to me how to describe things I have dug out my old computer magazines. :) In my old computer (which a is a Intel Celeron 333CPU)the internet is set up by me using the blueyonder disc which created me the outlook express and the internet explorer. Which is fine at the moment. Now I have decided to buy a new computer because I was getting all sort of problems with the old computer. :( What I want to do is some transfer some of the data of the existing connection to the new computer. Put it this way. What do you see when you double click the outlook express icon, the programme open the a display where it say your name of the whatever is your server,your emails address and your password and it automatic connect to get online. That what I want to tranfer the display of the internet over to the new computer without going through the internet connection wizard or putting the blueyonder disc to create it again.

When Newt gave me some suggestion I was happy to go long with it. :):) What he says was fine by me untill I got the PCI netcard which I thought I have one but did not. When I open the case of a midtower I found out that I couldn't do it because I do not have a enough PCI Slots. :o:o All I got is two PCI Slots which one of them is a 3D graphic card which I need for my screen moniter.

The other PCI slot is where my moden line go into a plug which is connected into the serial port of my computer. I thought I have to used the phone line to be plug in in order to get the data/display internet connection and I thought the Cat5e cable will transfer my data over to the new computer without going through the internet connection wizard which on my new computer where someone at the factory were my new computer was built and was test the internet out and have forgotten to remove the password. :mad:

I am sorry if I have caused any trouble by confusing you as I do admitted I am not very good at explaining thing especially about computers or what I am trying to do.

Steve you are right about me being too perplexed about the internet connection wizard. As I said before I don't want to make a mess of it again. Again as you say it only take a minute to do this BUT this server take twenty minutes to go through everything in details about the connection wizard. To me using the phone at home or anywhere is a big problem for me because I am deaf in both ears (80% hearing loss) but when using my hearing aids It cause me a lots of problem to trying to hear what people are saying to me What why the phone is out of the question. Using the internet and my Text mobile phone is the only way of communication. :o As again I did not put this information down before because I thought it would be easy to do like a step by step instructions to hopefully as I said transfer my data over to the new computer.

you havent caused any trouble mate, we're just trying to sort this for you, and it still seems by far the easiest way is to get over your fear of running the wizard and just set up the new connection on your new machine. any of us here would be glad to help, and we dont charge £2 a minute

all you need is your username, password and telephone number you have to dial, thats it.

find those out, let us know what they are and someone will sort it out for you.

Thank you Jeepster. Can you wait until I get my new computer back from the manufacture, hopefully in the next few days

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will contact anyone who will want to help me by using this forum

Once again thank you

Andrew

Been over to the manufacture this afternoon to find out what going on with my new computer. The bad news is that it is not going to be ready for at least another week.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(