Thresher Shark in Dorset

Elton

Elton:

Elton:

It was in the Evening Standard last night. 240lb I think. According to the Standard it was caught by two blokes mackerel fishing. I didn't know sharks took feathers! Sad thing is they sold it to a fish merchant for £180.

If they were anglers, rather than commercial fishermen, the sale of that fish was illegal, I believe.
True, you need a licence. Although most people won't ask to see one if its cheaper than usual sources.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the proper way to report this? Would it be DEFRA?

Also, mackerel fishing with a balloon float and "Even though I only had an 80-pound rod and Mickey Mouse gear there was no way I was going to let it go." Hmmmmmm............

The public need to know that the majority of anglers don't think it's right to kill a specimen fish for no reason - one way would be to get this in the press for the right reasons...i.e. our response!

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Grrrr..... :mad:

quote:

After a hero's welcome back at shore
I bet that was Joe Public.

I remember being relieved to see another angler after I caught that nice bass a few weeks back, as Joe Public thought I was barmy for not "knocking it on the head"!

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

And the sad end to this?

quote:

Thresher sharks, which are normally found in warmer waters such as the Mediterranean, are not a danger to humans but divers have been known to get injured after getting in the way of their tail.

Extraordinarily, he has been very candid with admitting his illegal activities and this may just come back to haunt him when he is reported, by me for one, I would hope everyone else here sees fit to take the same action: DEFRA, Police, DSS, Inland Revenue are all potential interested parties.

Elton:

And the sad end to this?

quote:

Thresher sharks, which are normally found in warmer waters such as the Mediterranean, are not a danger to humans but divers have been known to get injured after getting in the way of their tail.
Even if it was a Great White the risk is minimal when compared to crossing the road and virtually non-existant when compared with the amount of GW's that are killed by man.

speaking to a friend of mine, he said that when he shark fished most often the wire trace does so much damage to the jaw and neck that the fish cannot be returned...he's even had traces cut past the jaw of the fish... :(

i'm glad when i go boat fishing the skipper and hand have a good attitude to catches, no gaffs and no gear that will impede a return...

however theres no bloody way that was caught on a mackerel rig, who the hell goes mackereling with an 80lb rod, and a trace that will hold a 240lb shark on....perhaps they used mackerel for bait and the ES misconstrued the story

Originally posted by gonefishing:

[QB] speaking to a friend of mine, he said that when he shark fished most often the wire trace does so much damage to the jaw and neck that the fish cannot be returned...he's even had traces cut past the jaw of the fish... :(

As far as I know I still hold the south of England record for the most Blues caught in one day 27. Few years ago now mind.

Every shark went back tagged with no tears to jaws or any other part of the body damaged.

No gaffs were used, all were tailed and lifted aboard.

The only problem I can see is letting the fish run for to long and swallowibg the bait right down so that the trace is cutting into the side of the jaws.

Tell your friend to hit the fish a bit earlier.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning