Not a Happy Bunny!!

Chris Goddard

Just installed Freeserves "Free" trial of broadband and the bloody thing has also installed it's own version of I.E. and Outlook express!! It has taken me months to get both running just as I like and want and in seconds this pile of crud has changed it all and all with NO BLOODY WARNING at all!!

Want to see the message I sent them! Chesters1 you would be proud of me!!

But to my question, how do I get rid?? And get back my old settings?? Will I have to start from scratch??

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Unless you have an app like GoBack loaded that will let you roll back the PC settings or unless you have a good image backup (like Ghost does), you are what we would call over here

Screwed, Blued, and Tattooed.

If the PC were mine, I'd make sure I had copies of all personal stuff including favorites, email folders, address book, etc. and then wipe the system and start over.

Then I would buy a copy of GoBack since with it running all you would have to do is reboot, press the space bar when told, pick the time/date you want the PC rolled back to, and go get a coffee since the process would take around 15 minutes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You can install freeserve broadband without the IE and OE "upgrades"

instead of loading everything up from the autorun on the CD go into my computer and right click on the CD drive and click on explore, that opens the cd up like it does with my documents. Look in the and you`ll see broadone.exe, double click that and you`ll install the drivers without installing IE and OE

Tony C:

Newt, If chris was using XP would using the system restore help?

XP's system restore does just that. It restores system files and a few other goodies.

It would deal with part of his problems but the remainder would take longer than I'd want to devote to unscrewing the mess. In fact, I'm not that confident I could undo all the changes on my own PC even if I were willing to take the time and I wouldn't be.

That's the reason I so strongly recommend GoBack. It puts absolutely everything back just as it was. Deleted email, recycyle bin contents, registry, files, well - everything. :)

I might never have gotten the application but it was bundled with a Norton suite I got a few years ago but after having it, I would absolutely buy a copy. In addition to the usual restore needs, the GoBack file seems immune to virus attacks so if you happen to get infected, just restore from before the virus hit and it's gone as if it never existed.

[ 24. January 2004, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

All sorted now!! I contacted Freeserve (Boy oh boy!! Did I contact them!!!) They gave me instructions on how to edit the registry to remove all traces of Freeserve!! It was in the form of a small routine set from start/run and It worked!! All got rid of!!

With O/E I have still not got back to as it was, but I am happy with the way it is, sort of!!

But as usual, thanks to all here for the help and advice!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks for the info newt, I have GO back on my Norton system works disc, I never installed it as I foolishly thought restore would take care of it :o

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Chris - great news. Guess you weren't the first person to get bit by that ill mannered software.

TonyC - once you get GoBack loaded, you can turn off system restore. No need to take up the drive space or system resources running both.

[ 24. January 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]