External modem help!!

billy5000

Hi all

ive just managed to get my hands on a US Robotics external 56k modem at last and its been many years since i had one of these modem(normal pci internal most of the time)

and i was wondering weather having my internal in at the time im trying to test this external(as window(m.e)or any, lets you install more than one at a time and be able to test its communication from modem to computer(modem diagnostic in modems in control panel)

well ive got the printer type connecter in the back of the modem which goes to a serial(little square port in the pc)its power'd up and rj45 cable in (small end in modem to big rj45 end to phone port in my wall)all seems ok when its sitting it has light (RD)(SD)(CS)and (TR)when using diagnostics then its says that it may not be connected properly or the power is off and (TR)light goes off(most of the time) :D .

I was wondering if anyone can help me with driver suggestions etc full spec is below

3com U.S ROBOTICS 56K VOICE/FAXMODEM

It has a bar code with 22tmb159ms5b and onthe sticker below bar is 01566300

ive tried the 3com site but so far no luck as i remember when i had one before it was just 56flex drivers etc??? :confused:

Thanks for any help :)

billy

Remove the internal one first. Device manager and remove. Shut down and physically remove.

My guess is that with the internal gone and the normal modem IRQ freed up, your external will be seen and will work.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi all

cheers newt il give it a go as i thought it may be the internal modem maybe mucking things around

as the internal has been abit odd overall latly it once had the specker noise when dialing and now dispite specker volume level i hear nothing. :confused:

so il give it a go :)

billy

what the hecks a "specker" didnt you learn anything in the 3 days you were at school :confused:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A Specker is a maker of top quality Hi-Fi units silly!! :D

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

This could be a (foolhardy and dangerous)first, but I am about to disagree with Newt!

My internal modem died after lots of use, and having removed it, my PC failed in order to recognise an internal one, two external USB ones, and just as I was about to give up, I bought an Olitec External, serial port, which if Freeserve ever get up to V95 will do lots of clever tricks, which I presently have to pay extra for!

The Olitec was found even though I had not told it where to look! :confused:

Excalibur - sorry to disappoint but I think you are pretty much agreeing with me.

The internal PCI card units and the external serial modems want to use some of the same bits of the PC. Ignoring the USB things, you removed an internal and had great luck with an external modem. So basically, you had success with what I recommended to billy5000 (and does anybody know where billy0001 thru billy4999 have gotten off to?)

:D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not sure if we're saying the same thing two ways, Newt, but my system couldn't find an internal modem, a cheap USB one, a very good USB one, and when I had virtually given up, a serial one was found effortlessly, with no attempt at configuring it, in fact I had actually not got some settings done, and it worked. My point is that it seems ( to me ) that whether your modem works is not down to the actual components, but the mix of them.

PS, Shouldn't it be possible to configure two different modems and use either as Billy wants to check? :confused:

Hi all

cheers for the help :) ive palmed it off to chesters to see if XP can find it and talk to it.

i tried removing internal but it didnt seem to make much differance :(

so im gonna hope XP finds it and atleast no its working :)

nice weather last night i was stuck between farnham and alton in hampshire because of the damn snow and afew idoits who ignored the single file sign and gridlocked it all up :mad:

got back to Hambledon nr portsmouth about 4hrs (normally takes 25mins)later and couldnt get up the hill to the house so i offroaded in the volvo 340 and got trough a small track which leads to the house

damn dangerous out there last night but atleast i wasnt one of thoses 55 people who conked out/crashed

billy

Shouldn't it be possible to configure two different modems and use either as Billy wants to check?

In theory, it should be dead easy. In practice, I've seen the internal PCI modems (that use the PC's CPU for part of their processing) block or mess up other devices while the external serial modems are usually very well behaved - if there isn't an internal. And the USB devices should not have problems either but again, they sometimes seem to.

Hardware (including the IRQ and other low level resource things) have never made much sense to me and I always just let a hardware tech take care of it. I don't work on my car either because that's a sure way to stop it from running altogether.