XP using Messenger & Outlook

Gillies

Is there any way to totally kill MSN Messenger on Windows XP Pro so that it does not boot up when ever you are running Outlook Express?

I have disabled it etc in Outlook Express, but once I send or receive a few emails etc it kicks itself off.

Sometimes I will sign onto the Internet after been using Outlook, and not even run Outlook, and MSN Messenger will run in the background without me knowing - not even showing in the system tray, and I dont know until someone sends me a message.

Is driving me nuts, as Im sure it's something pretty simple I'm missing.

I have to use MSN Messenger all day to send quick messages back and fore to our London offices. When I sign on in the evenings to the Internet and I am getting people in our London office working late messaging me regarding work when I don't want them to - it gets annoying :)

Also can the version of Messenger that comes with XP be totally disabled, and the latest version downloaded and used instead?

Any suggestions or help would be great?

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Windows Messenger to me is an intrusive application which unnecessarily logs me into MSN when all I wanna do is just check mail.

To prevent this irriation I wanted to remove it from the system.

This cannot be accomplished from the Control Panel.

No, Sir, not even when you remove it from the Windows Components.

To get rid of it permanently, do this:

Go to Start, Run and copy and paste this command

code:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%infmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Job Done and Windows messenger is gone.

Note: This is Windows Messenger and not MSN Messenger

Thank Simon - will give that a try.

If I remove Windows Messenger, can I then install MSN Messenger do you think, and not be irriated by logging into Outlook etc?

Thanks

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Quite a bit of material to wade thru but anyone with messenger issues would benefit.

As a side note, Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express are both mainly email apps but completely different. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office and includes calender /w reminder, business oriented contact list (in addition to address book) and other goodies. Outlook Express is a consumer app and almost totally email oriented.

First, a quick guide to Which Messenger is which.

Specific fixes for most problems are mentioned in this Next thread of 44 posts.

[ 11. February 2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President