I'd like your thoughts or an appraisal..

On a new (to me) adware muncher.

My Girlfriend and I have both always run Adaware and spybot from as far back as I can remember, but in the last few months she has been using "Spyware blaster" http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html , which apparently stops the spyware getting in, in the first place. It also has a busy security support forum, where spyware logs are analysed.

I must say I'm quite impressed with it, so impressed I have now installed it myself. The reason? On her adaware scans she would find 1 maybe 2 results in comparison to my 20+.

I just wondered if anyone else uses this or has used it before and what if anything, you thought of it.

BTW, I have no affiliation with these people, I'm not even regged on the forum.

edit note: fixed the link - Newt

[ 22. April 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Thanks Steve. Never used this one but just downloaded it and will do some playing around with it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 months later...

So to those who have tried it...what do you think?

Myself, I'm very impressed as it has cut down on the ammount of spyware that actually gets on my machine in the first place.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I like it as well. Not only for the spyware handling (and it does cut way back on the amounts I get) but a couple other features I like as well. I keep the flash blocker turned on unless there is a Flash thing I want to see.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Being of a cynical nature, I smelled a rat with Spyware Blaster. It mysteriously finds loads of files that Spybot and Ad-Aware supposedly missed, then tries to get you to pay for it.

Has anybody checked to see if the files it found really were on the computer or did it invent them or put them there?

I ditched it immediately.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Not sure we are talking about the same product. Mine blocks spyware but does not look for it. And there is a small link on the screen for updates you can click to donate but no 'nags' or 'reminders' to do so. The only time it mentions money is if you try to turn on the auto-update feature that is only available with the paid version.

This App

blaster.jpg

I installed it a few days ago and now Add-Aware finds hardly anything, or nothing at all.

It had been finding the same things every time I ran it.

I now have Add-Aware set to run at Windows startup. Spy-Bot had been finding nothing after the last Add-Aware update anyway.

For me, SpywareBlaster seems to work fine at the moment. As soon as Add-Aware starts to find things, I will use the SpywareBlaster manual update to 'immunise' the system.

If the junk-mailers allready have your details, I presume it is too late!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I installed SpywareBlaster about 6-7 weeks ago.

Due to my bad experiences of SpyWare locking up my computer, I have AdAware, SpyBot and SpyKiller installed.

Since setting up SpywareBlaster, my "Spyware finders and killers" have found nothing to kill.

So far, I am impressed and haven,t found any downside.

I still run AdAware and will continue to do so.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I installed SpywareBlaster about 6-7 weeks ago

Just check for updates every week or so and it will certainly do most of the blocking for you. The Spybot Immunize feature is good too.