Scroll Bar Problem.

Norrie

Hiya, This is a problem with my dads PC, the scroll bar isnt scrolling smoothly, even tho he has enabled smooth scrolling on his system, and its driving him up the wall. Any ideas....its a newish setup, XP, pentium4 etc.

Thanks in advance.

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Is it just the internet scroll bar, or is it any scroll bar in any window?

Do all other applications work OK. Do games run properly, do DVD's play etc, etc.

Did it ever work properly?

What is the full spec of this PC : CPU type and CPU speed, RAM etc.?

Hi Lid, Thanks for your reply...WD40 indeed, thats only for fishing . :rolleyes: .. :D

Right info I have is as follows...XP windows 2100+,1.73 cpu,AMD,1gig memory. Scroll bar doesnt work properly on Outlook Express either. He doesnt play games on it or Dvd's either,so cant comment on that side of it,but, thinks it might be the video card, as when he tries to download new drivers for it, it wont let him in...if you need more info, let me know.It worked fine till recently.

It was built to spec for him, and the chap is away on holiday for a month....

Cheers.

Norrie :D:D

[ 09. July 2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

Theocritis..

OK that helps, but I don't understand what you mean by 'it won't let him in'?

Here's a few more things :

- does the scrollbar misbehave however you scroll? Eg with mouse pointer, with mouse wheel, with arrow buttons, with keyboard scroll wheel.

- did anyone install or change anything around the time it went wrong?

- are there any other problems with the display or mouse use?

[ 09. July 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Lid, My dad sent me this mail in answer to your queries,hope it helps.

Cheers

Norrie :D

My mate upgraded my system from XP Home to XP Professional

It was then that I noticed a couple of things wrong that wasnt there previously.

The scroll bar is jerky and wavy on Internet and Outlook Express. I checked that Smooth Scroll was Enabled, and it was.

My video card ie Nvidia was missing so was Spysweeper. I reinstalled Spysweeper and that is now ok.

I went to reinstall my video card, put the disc in, and it told me to click on Drivers which I did. Then a message came up and it said The Wizard found no suitable Driver under the locations that you specify. Please specify the directory again.

Theocritis..

It may well be something to do with the Nvidia drivers not being installed and some default drivers being used by XP-Pro. I should add I don't configure PC's for a living, but do work with them every day.

You need to find the drivers on that CD. I suspect the path defaults incorrectly on the install drivers screen, although I haven't got XP here at home to check.

Look through the CD with explorer to see if you can find the folder with the drivers in and put this in the path box on the install drivers screen. Failing that try and find the latest drivers on the web, either on Nvidia's own web-site or a dedicated drivers' web-site.

Lid, all sorted,cheers for your help, it was a virus on the Graphics card, the chap who built it did it all by remote, from god knows where...but thanks again, I owe you one...

:D:D:D

Norrie

Theocritis..