Can't get in !

kleinboet

Did you happen to get a copy of Windows2000 along with the PC?

Basically with the NT systems (NT4/2K/XP/2003), you can't get in without knowing the password unless you format and install the operating system again. Not hard but does call for the CD.

It is usually possible to hack the system but it is lots of work and often causes other problems that never go away.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt - thanks for that. No discs for my XP or her 2000. As I have been told that I have 10 deeply embedded viruses in my computer, do you think that if I wiped both and re-installed a new version of XP, would it work? And what files should I copy?

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

kleinboet - hold off on wiping anything right now.

Tomorrow when I'm more alert (just off work and sorta tired just now) I'll give you some ideas on cleaning the XP machine. The 2K machine is a lost cause without a complete OS reinstall I'm afraid.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Basically with the NT systems (NT4/2K/XP/2003), you can't get in without knowing the password unless you format and install the operating system again.  Not hard but does call for the CD.

I'm pretty sure that's not true, because in the past I've been able to bypass passwords simply by starting in safe mode. I know on XP Home, the Admin account doesn't have a password by default, but I don't know about 2000.

You can also boot up from a floppy. I think booting from floppy is the first choice, and if one isn't found, as is the usual case, then it starts up from Hard disk.

Or you could just upgrade to XP or 'find' a 2000 CD...

You might be lucky enough to type in 'administrator' and hope they never set a password, but if they have, then safe mode will still ask for it.

They would have been silly not to have changed the name of the admin account!

[ 07. August 2004, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net