My fishing website

Andy_1984

Your not wrong;

I did an apprenticeship with the Lynn News local paper as a proof reader and typographer; we shot back any copy that used numbers instead of words.

The best bit about that job was learning to hand build artwork for adverts though; bees wax and layout paper; laser printed type, and old stripe tape to create borders. They had a HUGE copy of all the adverts they had run in the paper in a wall mounted filing system; if an advertiser asked for artwork they had used previously you just looked up the issue; pulled the artwork off from the copy and stuck it back onto the new one! LOL!

awesome stuff!

kind of miss those days when it was hand based skills and you could look through the paper and see and advert you had put together yourself in print.

Here at school one of my colleagues has just retired; he was our repro man; he had spent 40+ years here in Fakenham in the printworks and our best chats were based around pulling apart the typesetting of whatever school poster or leaflet he had been asked to replicate or copy! LOL

I guess things have to move on; the issue is, like digital painting, if you don't have the basic skills and understanding its really easy to let computers do what they think is right and leave it as job done.

None of which is casting fault at your work Andy; just waffling along in a similar subject as Cory! LOL

ive designed a few sites myself...but I get bogged down in the artwork and layout instead of understanding the coding...so whilst I think they look ok..i know they wont stand up to modern coding or formats etc

my pleasure comes from creating the artwork for them.

None of which is casting fault at your work Andy; just waffling along in a similar subject as Cory! LOL

ive designed a few sites myself...but I get bogged down in the artwork and layout instead of understanding the coding...so whilst I think they look ok..i know they wont stand up to modern coding or formats etc

my pleasure comes from creating the artwork for them.

A few years back doing graphically intensive websites was a real hassle. people had to rely on table element for placement but theres now lots of advancements in css3 for rounding corners on divs, rotating images, adding gradients, multiple background images in the body element, drop shadows, transparencies, you name it css3 probably has it. so many options to play around with.

no one really uses tables any more for getting their layout sorted and Divs are used for everything now days since they are more flexible and configurable than tables. if you can get to grips with Div placement anything is possible.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I would say that the biggest change which has made life easier is not so much CSS3 as much more consistent browser compliance with newer CSS standards. We have always paid lip service to cross browser compatibility because our clients are financial sector organisations with wall to wall Windows/IE and it just wasn't worth investing time in browsers nobody used, but the recent changes in IE behaviour have increasingly made pages coded to previous IE versions display badly. I'm currently in the middle of rewriting a couple of hundred pages to be - as far as practicable - nice cross-browser CSS. Tedious is not the word.