Reel Problems

petera

Tried my first time with rod and reel yesterday evening

After a couple of goes the cast seemed to be working ok ..

But then I started geting too much line loose by the reel and the result was a big tangle resulting in line having to be cut :angry: .

Anyone have any ideas what I have done wrong and how to avoid this problem ?

Many Thanks !

Fixed spool or multiplier?

If fixed spool, was the line coiled after it came off the reel?

What were you casting and was there a significant amount of wind?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Fixed spool or multiplier?

Dont know ! reel is called zebco chaser 530

If fixed spool, was the line coiled after it came off the reel?

It was just a big mess but I spose could say there was a coil to it

What were you casting and was there a significant amount of wind?

I was using a swim feeder and there was no wind to speak of

I think your spool may of been over filled (common mistake ,we've all been there) Watch this guide to filling spools

Youtube Video ->

best thing would be too pull off some line (plus the tangled mess) about 20 turns or so should be enough to bring it to a more suitable level ,cut off then dispose of by cutting ing short lengths .most experts recommend 1-2mm from rim but i prefer 2-3mm for lifgter lines 4lb- or less and 1-2mm for 4lb+

some lines can be very springy leading too tangles .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Chavender beat me to it with the amount of line on the spool, with his good advice.

How do you cast? Do you trap the line with your finger before casting, then feather the line as it hits the water? If not, you could be suffering from an over run, with line spilling from the spool after casting.

I've seen people holding the line with their free hand before casting, then just letting it run on. That's one way to get loose line and a tangle.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Chavender beat me to it with the amount of line on the spool, with his good advice.

How do you cast? Do you trap the line with your finger before casting, then feather the line as it hits the water? If not, you could be suffering from an over run, with line spilling from the spool after casting.

I've seen people holding the line with their free hand before casting, then just letting it run on. That's one way to get loose line and a tangle.

John.

Hi Thanks for the good advice

There seems to be about 5 mm or so before the lip so that seems ok

I cast using a finger to hold line but of course I am far from good at this !

So seems to me the prob is a combination of letting too much line go and not keeping things tight enough ?

Also the local tackle shop tells me this is common with just loaded line and it takes a while to settle down ??

Like I say I know nothing !!